Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right now I have a street disc centerforce and it's been holding 250whp just fine, without issue....that's including being sprayed on before hand and a decent NA build..

but I honestly don't know if it would hold up to an extra 50whp..and if it did it probably wouldn't last too long....

so what's your suggestion? this car is driven on the street, I don't want a clutch that'll beat up my trans every time I dis/engage it

also, same concept on axles...will the stock Ford axles work fine?

·
Banned
47 Posts
I have a competition clutch stage 4 sprung disc it holds the power but it shudders if you try and slip it too much. clutch masters also has a stage 4 that is supposed to be good, alot of people up here have them.

as for axles, no one makes after market ones that I know of... but you don't need them anyway.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
I would think you would be just fine w/ a stage 3 clutch. I have the spec III and it is rated to 350 ft/lbs. I won't be putting out that much ever, but its nice to know that I won't just burn up my clutch. its really easy on the foot but grabs really hard, its a great clutch. And as for the torque on the axels, well, tom's car ran over 700 whp (don't know the torque) and he was on stock axles!!

·
Banned
47 Posts
If he wants 300whp he will be close to if not over 350flbs at the crank where clutches are rated. It is better have too much clutch than not enough!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool, thanks for the suggestions...anybody else?

also, i'll probably try the centerforce to see where it takes me, unless it starts to slip ahead of time, but the clutch that's in there still does well and hasn't had any issues thus far *knock on wood*

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
Clutch masters FX-300 will work fine.

The only reason I am getting the FX-400 is because I had a better deal on it. Otherwise I would have gotten the FX-300 which has really good reviews from other members.

It holds the power and is streetable

·
Banned
12 Posts
I would think you would be just fine w/ a stage 3 clutch. I have the spec III and it is rated to 350 ft/lbs. I won't be putting out that much ever, but its nice to know that I won't just burn up my clutch. its really easy on the foot but grabs really hard, its a great clutch. And as for the torque on the axels, well, tom's car ran over 700 whp (don't know the torque) and he was on stock axles!!

The spec III probably wouldnt hold for long. Clutches are rated by power at the flywheel, so 300WHP would equate to over 350 at the flywheel. I wouldnt chance it and would go one higher. Plus theres no need to upgrade if you decide you want even more power.

As for a 700 hp focus, if Tom really did have a 700 hp focus, why has no one seen it or a dyno chart of it, or a 1/4 mile video of it, and why isnt Tom working for Ford Racing building Focus drag cars?

Sorry its just not very plausible. Tom also said that car had a stock cooling system.

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
FX-300 can hold up to 357hp at the flywheel...

So yes it will hold 300whp.

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
jc please stop this has been talked about over and over if you want to know more try the search button

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
o and i have a clutch masters stage 4 with a clutch masters light flywheel and love it

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
spec clutches are a joke when it comes to their rating system. a friend of mine got a stage 3 for his cam only trans am that put down 420rwhp. the spec was rated at like 700hp and like 750tq. after 5 1/4 mile track passes it wouldnt hardly pull the car. it was slipping horribly. he went to a textralia clutch and hasnt had a problem since. and the asses at spec wouldnt hear anything about helping him out. they gave him the runaround for month and made him send like 20 pics of the clutch flywheel and pp and after all was said and done they dicked him around until it was too late to get any kind of warranty out of it. basically it was flushing $1200 down the shitter.

·
FF Affiliate
30,935 Posts
I would keep the clutch you have till it gives trouble then go to the CM4 or the competition , Chris is a good friend at CC and was at CM and did the work on the Focus CM4

I have yet to break an axle in the white 700+ ZX3 or my 326HP SVT so I dont think you need any axles just yet , Just dont be crazy and take it to 4500 and side step the clutch , Anything can be broken

Tom

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
clutches are rated for torque, not horsepower, and spec clutches are really good!! I used a stage II on my STI and it held 350 wtq and 390 whp (even though hp has nothing to do w/ it) It was rated to 350 tq and held for the entire time I had it!! no complaints here!!

·
FF Affiliate
30,935 Posts
I never did , Knew the ATX and the turbo would love each other and had the chance to go ATX and took a shot , With a ATX I could load to 12psi sitting on the line Not that it would go when the light turned green LOL

Tom

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
I never did , Knew the ATX and the turbo would love each other and had the chance to go ATX and took a shot , With a ATX I could load to 12psi sitting on the line Not that it would go when the light turned green LOL

Tom
Hell ya wish i could do that :)

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
well, when do you think I will have trouble, lol. SHOULD make 500whp soon...
geesh. do the tires even stick to the road with that much power? [pray]

1 - 20 of 94 Posts