Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey,

so i've learned all sorts of things this week by cruising the site and wanted to know people's opinions on clay bars. so far i've only heard of a difference on if it strips off your wax or not. quite frankly, that isn't too important to me so i was wondering if there is anything else i should look for?

i saw a 3m clay bar but it has no spray to go with it. mcguires sells a kit as does mothers, and of course there are a couple internet kits like dp and some others. is there abig difference?

also, what would the appropriate full cleaning be per month? washing, clay, polish, wax? then just a wash as desired or weekly? thanks for all the help.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Meguires works really well. Wouldnt you say?

·
Registered
500 Posts
b16sir1991 said:
Meguires works really well. Wouldnt you say?
I second that!

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Hey buddy, whats up. You had a safe ride home i see.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I love my Meguires clay bar especially after all my long trips[thumb]

Yeah made it home ok, we had a long ride and somehow managed not to get pulled over there were a ton of cops out sunday heading to va beach and then monday evening when I headed from there to northern VA. If it stops raining I am gunna put on the parts tonight and I will post up some pictures.

*end thread-jack*

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have tried a few different clays, I was most impressed with the Adams Detail Clay. Aggresive enough to clean up any stubborn spots and still very kneadable.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
i still liked mothers, it works quite well, and is only about $10

secondly, is it bad to claybar over spots that have chipping paint?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've been using Meguiars for years now... but as above posted, I too realize it sticks easily without a good amount of detailer to lubricate it constantly. Next detailing season i'll reconsider switching to Mother's or 3M... i've heard many good things about 3M detailing products as well.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mothers worked well...195,000 a looks great

I read up on this site about what to do to improve my paint. After washing it today I used the clay bar from Mothers. It worked very well. I think for $17 it was worth it. I really didnt feel it took that long to do...2 hours not including the initial wash of 1 hour.

However, I feel I get the same results from using a good wax...like Joe's Hot Wax and swirling the pad harder. I can feel, when I wax, that it also takes off the surface grime. I feel it does the same thing with the clay bar but I dont have to work as hard to free up the surface grime.

My final vote is...Id do it again. 195,000 miles and the paint is holding up thru tough West Michigan winters. We luv our chloride!!! 120" of snow average per year. Those damn trucks salt almost every week at some point for 3 months straight[:(!]

Great site[thumb]

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts