Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey! ive been lookin to get a new hu thats mp3 compatible for a very long time now and i havent been able to decide on one. i still have money burning a hole in my pocket and i was wonderin what suggestions everyone had on what the best bang for my buck would be, thanks for all the help!

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
i favor pioneer, they are built like tanks, they are the best quality for the money, no question, they have mp3 models available for anywhere from $140 shipped to $500, the highend ones have things like OEl display and some even have motorized faces. what kind of price are you looking to spend?

- Scott

·
Registered
92 Posts
I recommend Sony, I've always had good luck with that. I have the Sony Xplod.

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
i have to disagree with that sorry, i hate the xplod line, it used to be really nice and now they build everytihng cheaper and charge more. if you want quality i wouldn't go with sony for car audio unles it's old stuff form about 6 years ago.

- Scott

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm looking to spend less than $250. i do happen to like some of the pioneer models, such as the 4600mp and the 5500mp. also the premier couter parts... if anyone konws anything about these id be interested to get your input or if u still have any other suggestions they are welcome! thanks again

·
Registered
344 Posts
try crutchfield.com
i got my mp3 hu from there (cheap it wa on sale, along with my speakers). you can start with your car and they list all compatible with it, plus they won't send you a h/u without the proper harnesses, and they provide illustrated instructions on the removal of your interior panels if you also buy speakers.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-nBr71p...62700&td=1&tn=1&l=&a=&cc=01&avf=Y&search=&o=p

·
Registered
309 Posts
Besides Pioneer I would highly recommend Alpine and Eclipse. I have the CDA-9815 for almost a year now and love it. It also plays WMAs, so it's an added bonus - I have some stuff decoded in WMA. I mainly decided on Alpine because of the looks, as all of these are very good quality units.

But with either one of those you won't go wrong. As for Sony, I have to agree to avoid it in car audio if you want to get quality sound - altough I got Sony HU for my sis into her Volvo due to price and design and she loves it.

As for where to get it, I bet Scott will tell you www.ikesound.com - they have excelent prices.

Good luck ;)

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
pioneer also offer WMA support on all their models. for the best prices ebay is really good but yes, www.ikesound.com has a good dela on the p4600mp (the new model) for about $148 shipped. but you could probably get it cheaper on ebay. for the DEH-P7500MP www.thezeb.com has it for $240 shipped. the main diference between the 4600, 5500, and 7500 models is the display. all new models like the 4600 have rotary volume control which is nice to have. the it has basic display though. the 5500 is the same text display but with color, alot of color, it looks really good, my brother and my friend both have this model and it looks amazing actualy. the only problem wit hit is that it's hard to use all the features with only text display. the oel display shows it graphicly which helps alot, plus you get screensavers you can acutlay make your own graphics to put on the screen whic his cool. i like the 7500 alot but if you don't want all the screen effeccts you'd be fine with the 4600 or 5500. ebay has the the cheapest prices but just incase, don't buy from a seller that only sells a few items here and there, buy from an actualy company that has a website and customer service and all that, says that they will do warranty work on the product if something goes wrong (pioneer won't do it because your not buying from an authorized dealer), it's very highly unlikely that you'll have any problems if you do the install correctly, but you want to make sure.

- Scott

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alright yeah, i'm kinda set on the 5500 but a local dealer now has what is apparently the new 2004 line of pioneers and premiers...and the deh p460mp seems to have been upgraded a little and is pretty comparable?? i cant find any info online even at pioneers website so if anyone knows whats changed or where i can get some info about the new hu's itd be appreciated

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
not sure where the hell they got all this info but go to http://caraudioforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=178525 there are about 3 or 4 lists of features and comparisions throguhout the thread.

i just found out that the 4600 doens't actualy have crossovers, i don't know what recommened anymore, they really did some weird stuff, kind of good though, you don't have to pay as much if you don't want some of the features.

- Scott

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
the only difference between the say 4500 and 4600 (2003 and 2004) models would basically be the color scheme, it's a little different of a gray. other than that everything stayed the same. oh, and the buttons look a little diff as well

·
Registered
13 Posts
I personally have the Kenwood MP919 and its really nice. not very user friendly, but very cool. my dad has a Pioneer mp3/cd player. its on sale at walmart for like 170, it was 250 when he bought it not too long ago. go to walmart.com. walmart stores tend to not have everything the site does.

Jon

·
Registered
97 Posts
whats a good speaker/hu set up? my friend has a alpine head unit with infinity speakers and it sounds pretty nice...i am just curious to see how good that would sound in a focus as he has it in his truck.

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
it's all about how much money you have to spend. amps are the best idea for the most clarity and for sound quality. componets are gernerally the best for sound quality also. but if you run the componets with the hu you probably won't notice the difference between those and some regular aftermarket speakers. you need power to make componets shine. if your just going to use the hu for power i'd get something with an eq in it, alpine has them i think and so does pioneer, pioneer has a ton of features but you need to know how to use them. infinty makes some really nice speakers too, it's debateable but many people agree that a round speaker is more natural sounding than an oval speaker. so i'd suggest something like a 6.5 inch speaker for the front, i wouldnt worry about the rears as much.

- Scott

·
Registered
309 Posts
As Scott said, many Alpine HUs have built-in 3 or 5 channel EQs - depending on the unit. It's quite easy to use them and in the higher end models you can program up to 6 different settings and recall them by using your remote.

But as always, it really comes down on how much you want to spend on your system.

·
Registered
97 Posts
i had originally wanted to spend under $500 but i have been loooking at the koda 6.1 component set up and a alpine cda 9813...i like the idea of having 60X4 as oppose the the 50. is there a cheaper h/u out there that does that?

·
/fail
3,193 Posts
i have an alpine cd/mp3/wma head unit and it rocks i paid like 240 for it and its got a sub level control three 6v preouts its got everything u need. Alpine Rocks.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts