Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering witch is the best filter quality is not an issue as i already have a 3" K&N air filter.

Was just looking at the fswerks and the CFM one dont want to throw $ by the window i know mainly this is an aluminium or steel pipe but as our d20 and d23 are sensible to air turbulance variation from the maf i want to know your opinion.

Mainly i know the design can make a different sound in the cabin ex: full cai vs short ram.

Well i need advice and is this worth it to buy one with insert that can be removed for a dyno tune? is this really worth it ? i only have for now a magnaflow full exhaust?....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link but
My point was witch is the best full cai for the duratec now and why. Fswerks looking good bit why is the cfm one is javing an insert? Worth it?

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
Thanks for the link but
My point was witch is the best full cai for the duratec now and why. Fswerks looking good bit why is the cfm one is javing an insert? Worth it?
Of the CAI's most are the same design and will have very similar results. Fswerks give you a couple different filter options. The CFM one needs the insert, as our ECU/MAF's need the oem diameter there for MAF to read proper measurements. If you want to spend money on getting your car tuned for the new diameter, then the CFM may be more beneficial but i am not sure i have heard anyone not using the insert yet.

A CAI is going to perform better than the stock airbox but the differences between different versions isnt significant to buy one over the other. Id personally just order the one that will be the cheapest shipped to your door. CFM, FSwerks, and K&N are all good companies

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have the first generation FSWerks (Focus Sport) cai that uses the stock maf instead of the newer version cai that is just one straight pipe. I recently had a conversation with a fellow focus enthusiast who said that upgrading to a wider 3 inch maf over the stock size made a huge difference in power and low end torque. Love my intake though for now it sounds incredible you can really hear it.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I like the Steeda sri for not having to deal w/ water issues & easy to clean the filter.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Got the Fswerks cold air intake with green filter and outer wear filter sock on my dad's '07 ST, he loves it, and it keeps the filter clean.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Got the Fswerks cold air intake with green filter and outer wear filter sock on my dad's '07 ST, he loves it, and it keeps the filter clean.
Great as long as you don't have any major puddles or standing water.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Excellent choice. Still loving mine over a decade later.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Except not for the Duratec...

CFM all the way, I've spent well over 500$ with them in the past month or so, driving to their warehouse Monday to pick up more parts. The CFM intake is also really nice.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I built my own CAI for my 05. I ended up using the tubing that is made by Speed by Spectre. Works great, I did have to play with the location of the MAF for a bit but the system I made was cheaper than the pre-made ones and I did it in a few hours worth of work. I spent just under $120 for it all.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Except not for the Duratec...

CFM all the way, I've spent well over 500$ with them in the past month or so, driving to their warehouse Monday to pick up more parts. The CFM intake is also really nice.
Say Hi to William for me.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
He came out to a garage day with us a few weeks ago. And he was with us a couple months ago. They're great guys and truly great to be around.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Thats great, He still has his svt?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Once E-Bay gets mentioned I always have to comment that SOME cheap units don't have the right diameter MAF tube & won't work properly.

Measure any replacement carefully before installation to avoid this problem, easier to return when never installed.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Once E-Bay gets mentioned I always have to comment that SOME cheap units don't have the right diameter MAF tube & won't work properly.

Measure any replacement carefully before installation to avoid this problem, easier to return when never installed.
I'm w/ you on that one Roger, once e-bay is involved. Got to make sure.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts