Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently blue one of my rear speakers in my zx3 I have a upgraded head unit 2 12 and rockford fostgate 5x7s upfront Im looking for decent speakers to put back there hopefully for under 60 dollars I was checking out these kickers right here
http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=IMQlTo2EIYzUgAfAnqDvBQ&ved=0CHsQ8wIwAA

But I would love to hear your guys opinions on decent speakers for 60 bucks I know im not going to get amazing ones for this price but thats all I can afford

·
Love CA / Hate CARB
2,160 Posts
Kicker definitely makes a quality product, but I think Alpine Type S speakers are hands-down the best bang-for-the-buck speakers. Unfortunately, Crutchfield says that the Alpine Type S 5x7's don't fit the rear of the Focus, so you would have to get 5 1/4's and adapter plates.

I have personally had very good experience with Polk speakers; I replaced all four speakers in my old Saturn Ion with them. The older dB speakers are $63 at Sonic Electronix, and the newer DXi series is on sale for $75 at Crutchfield.

For what it's worth, I helped my roommate pick out and install new speakers in his Integra. We went with Polk dB's up front and Kicker DS's in the rear. You can't go wrong with either, but I would definitely recommend the Polks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I installed the Polk dB's that YellowJellyBean listed in his post along with doing some sound deadening work while I was at it. Very satisfied with that choice.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright will deffinitly consider the polks the only reason I was looking at the Kicker componets is because of the cross over I play music with alot of bass in it and its how I blew my auidbahns.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Polk is a good choice.

But, I do not understand the need for rear speakers tho?

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
^^Agreed, try to do all. I know everyone says "front stage" but I feel when done that way I get this wall of just bass coming from behind compared to music filling the cabin with the rear speakers. Real noticeable to me.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^^Agreed, try to do all. I know everyone says "front stage" but I feel when done that way I get this wall of just bass coming from behind compared to music filling the cabin with the rear speakers. Real noticeable to me.
tottallly agreed I feel like not having rear speakers is kinda half assing it and if there blown you can deffinitly hear the goold old scratchy blowness.

·
Trying to Focus
1,881 Posts
I've been rolling with Boston Acoustics S85s front and rear for a couple months now. High-end harshness from the stock whizzer cones is a thing of the past. Bass clarity is noticeably better than stock, although the quantity of low-mid bass is about the same. That problem will be solved with a small powered sub in the not-too-distant future.

Dynamat in the doors also made a very audible difference; will probably do the floor, firewall, and wheel arches when the sub goes in.

·
Love CA / Hate CARB
2,160 Posts
Polk is a good choice.

But, I do not understand the need for rear speakers tho?
I understand your argument from the sound stage standpoint, but my rear seat passengers appreciate them :p

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah Back speakers are kinda neccesarry if you have subwoofers and people sit in your back allot the subs tend to overpower the stock speakers as it is. But for sound staging I was considering powering just my front 2 speakers and leaving the back two running off the hu ive also heard of using bass blockers as a way to improve staging Whats your guys opinions?

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
I use bass blockers on all my mids and highs , and let the sub do all the low end work .

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
I rarely have anyone in the backseat. If I do it is not for very long. So, let them suffer. Plus, I run a pretty loud front [email protected] wpc.

·
ELVIS LIVES !
2,553 Posts
I have Alpine S type 6x8's and love them. But for $60.00 I would go with some 6x8 pioneers. I have had very good luck with them and the sound great with an after market HU. Stay away from the Sony's for $60.00 they dont sound as good as the Pioneers for that price.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
I've had nothing but pioneer 6x8's since I've own my 01' ranger. Stay away from cloth surrounds, get the rubber ones. They are great speakers for the price, but I been wanting to try something else. The ones I have now are still working great but they are old old old.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts