Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need new tires for summer and I'd like to get a jump on it now. The Sport 3 was a fantastic tire but there is no way I'm spending $300 per tire for barely 50'000 kilometers. I know that kind of performance comes with a price, but there must be something comparable. Just wondering what you guys/gals are going with.

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,803 Posts
question is do you really need summer only tires? I have the 18 TI wheels, and I am running all season tires. They do last a hell of alot longer. Just a thought, but it is fine for me. I used to use summer only tires back in the day when I had my old ST, but got sick of wearing through them at 20,000 miles. It wasn't worth it imo.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
question is do you really need summer only tires? I have the 18 TI wheels, and I am running all season tires. They do last a hell of alot longer. Just a thought, but it is fine for me. I used to use summer only tires back in the day when I had my old ST, but got sick of wearing through them at 20,000 miles. It wasn't worth it imo.
I don't need summer only. Would prefer it, but as you mentioned, 20,000 miles is killer. Do any of the performance all seasons corner like those Pilots? Those things corner like the cars on rails.

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
I'm looking forward to getting the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport when my Michelins wear out. The appear to be a well-rounded summer tire based on the tirerack reviews and tests, and they're only $138.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm looking forward to getting the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport when my Michelins wear out. The appear to be a well-rounded summer tire based on the tirerack reviews and tests, and they're only $138.
Those look great. Way more affordable

·
Registered
57 Posts
Do any of you have any miles on the DWS to directly compare to the OE Pilots?
I'll only be using them as summer tires, but I'm curious about grip and longevity.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I'll only be using them as summer tires, but I'm curious about grip and longevity.
Of course your going to lose summer time grip w/ dws's vs the Pilots. The dws's are great for a a/s tire that sees icy/snowy conditions. Where if you have 2 sets of tires or you don't get cruddy weather, I'd stick w/ the Pilot's.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Of course your going to lose summer time grip w/ dws's vs the Pilots. The dws's are great for a a/s tire that sees icy/snowy conditions. Where if you have 2 sets of tires or you don't get cruddy weather, I'd stick w/ the Pilot's.
I know I would be losing some grip compared to the Pilot 3. My question was for people that can give me a comparison between the two.

The Pilots are pretty expensive, so if I can save $300 on a set by going with something that is 8 or 9/10ths as good, that's the feedback I'm looking for.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I had the DWS on my '13 SE 5spd Hatch for about 10,000 miles. When I went to buy the tires, I was set on Michelins. At the Time, Review after review, both consumer and professional tire reviewers rated the DW's and DWS's about equal to the PS2's. (As I recall PS3's had not yet been introduced.) And the Continentals were approximately $50 per wheel cheaper .

I had never been impressed by the Conti Pro Contacts (OEM's). However, with the reviews and the assurance from Discount Tire that they would gladly exchange if I was not happy. I bought them, and was very satisfied.

On my '14 Ti, I have the PS3's, 235x40R18's and they grip great. I have noticed that in cold weather here in north GA, these tires really, really ride rough until they warm up.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm between the RE760 and DW. Reason being is I have a dedicated set of snow tires, and I feel I'd be wasting money getting the 18" wheels and handling package if I'm not going to get a more or less comparable tire to those Pilots.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm between the RE760 and DW. Reason being is I have a dedicated set of snow tires, and I feel I'd be wasting money getting the 18" wheels and handling package if I'm not going to get a more or less comparable tire to those Pilots.
I hear ya on that.
I have dedicated snow tires as well.

Let us know what you go with. I'm curious and need to pull the trigger on something for the 18" wheels this spring.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
DW and DWS really excel in the wet, they do give up a bit in dry traction as compared to the other etreme performance summer tires.

ie, autocrossers use them for wet events, but would use Rivals, R1R, RE11, Z2 starspec, RS3, etc for dry.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
This. I've only ever run Bridgestones on my cars when the tires wear out, and they always perform great.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm running some michelin a/s plus on my Ti... they are alright however I never drove the car with the PS2's (dealership sold them on kijiji and had to buy me some brand new tires thus the a/s plus) but they do alright.

The one thing I will say about them is i was surprised when i drove on em in poor conditions( drove CGY to EDM in mid November).

·
Registered
285 Posts
IMHO.....go with a tire that has a quiet and smooth ride....the PS3s are quiet and smooth, of course, I live in N Cal so I can run summer tires pretty much all year round. The way I drive I'll probably get some where around or close to 30,000 miles on them before replacing....others have done it also. I am glad to see that others are trying different type of tires for the 18's....when time comes it will give me better decision making for new tires....thanks to you all for posting! Someone has tried the Goodyear Eagle F1's, just a thought.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I don't need summer only. Would prefer it, but as you mentioned, 20,000 miles is killer. Do any of the performance all seasons corner like those Pilots? Those things corner like the cars on rails.
Pilot Sport A/S 3. They'll last between 50-75K km and they corner extremely well. From personal experience, they provide good driver feedback and sharp response while soaking up bumps and expansion joints well.
The tread pattern is similar to the Pilot Super Sport, these tires were proven on Michelin's track day to be even better than ExtremeContact DW, Bridgestone Potenza S-04 and Pirelli P-Zero.

I have a friend who runs Pilot Super Sport on his Nissan GT-R as well and they are total monsters as far as summer grip. The A/S 3 aren't extremely far behind.

Here's a good article on them:
http://www.ridelust.com/michelin-pilot-sport-as-3-reinventing-the-all-season-tire/

PS- They're crap (barely serviceable) in the snow. Anyone who wants the best 4 season tire should look at Continental PureContact (DWS) and ExtremeContact DWS, both are excellent.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Best alternative to 18&quot; Michelin Pilot Sport 3?

My next set for my '13 Focus Auto for Illinois weather are going to be:

Pirelli CintuRato P7 All Season Radial Tire

I was going to get the DWS but think the Pirellis are a better tire. Who am I to know though until I actually try them.

Anyone have them?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts