Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, what is the best all season tires for the mk3/mk3.5? Only interested in all season tires. These continental tires from the factory suck.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had some Michelin Premier A/S installed on my mk3.5 last fall. Made it through the snowstorm pretty well we had last week.

I also used Continental DWS and Pirelli Cinturano on my mk2 and they worked great too. The Pirelli get loud as they wear and the Continental changed compounds since I used them and the ratings aren't as good.

·
FUBARCUS
7,767 Posts
Michelin a/s3.......
I've used mine up in 19k. Still good in the wet just not sure anymore. They're awesome besides treadlife. I drive very very spirited on mountain roads though.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Recommend going to Tire Rack and selecting the all season performance category you are interested in and look at the tire rating. I have been doing this and the reviews have been good.

Currently running the Michelin A/S 3+ and have been very happy with them. However I run blizzaks in the winter.

I put the Michielin Premier on my wife's Impraza. She did alot better than others in the snow. Ran Pirelli Cintuo P7 previously and they were good. However at the time they needed to be replaced the Tire Rack testing showed a great decrease in wet weather stopping distance, couldn't pick them because of that.

The OEM Continentals on my Focus were done at 20k, very poor rain/snow traction. Because of that I can't bring myself to try any other Continental tires.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Recommend going to Tire Rack and selecting the all season performance category you are interested in and look at the tire rating. I have been doing this and the reviews have been good.

Currently running the Michelin A/S 3+ and have been very happy with them. However I run blizzaks in the winter.

I put the Michielin Premier on my wife's Impraza. She did alot better than others in the snow. Ran Pirelli Cintuo P7 previously and they were good. However at the time they needed to be replaced the Tire Rack testing showed a great decrease in wet weather stopping distance, couldn't pick them because of that.

The OEM Continentals on my Focus were done at 20k, very poor rain/snow traction. Because of that I can't bring myself to try any other Continental tires.
Looks like I’ll have to look into the Michelin A/S 3+ thanks guys! I totally agree the stock continental tires suck! No traction whatsoever in the snow and ice. Even on wet pavement it struggles a little but it’s the worst in the snow and ice and I’m hoping the A/S 3+ can fare better in the icy conditions. I don’t need winter tires because I don’t usually drive much in the winter in general. I just am looking into better all seasons that can handle the snow and ice better.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
Looks like I’ll have to look into the Michelin A/S 3+ thanks guys! I totally agree the stock continental tires suck! No traction whatsoever in the snow and ice. Even on wet pavement it struggles a little but it’s the worst in the snow and ice and I’m hoping the A/S 3+ can fare better in the icy conditions. I don’t need winter tires because I don’t usually drive much in the winter in general. I just am looking into better all seasons that can handle the snow and ice better.
If thats the case as far as a/s tire to handle very lite snow/ icy conditions= Checkout Continental DWS 06's......Any more then that you'll really need snow tires.....Thats what I was looking at, a tire that'll handle icy conditions, yea it'll give up some in the summer under high cornering, ect, but at least I'm not sliding into other cars, ect. The a/s3's are more geared towards 3 season performance vs winter. I'd just as soon be on dry/wet tires, but some lite icy conditions hence the dws06's.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If thats the case as far as a/s tire to handle very lite snow/ icy conditions= Checkout Continental DWS 06's......Any more then that you'll really need snow tires.....Thats what I was looking at, a tire that'll handle icy conditions, yea it'll give up some in the summer under high cornering, ect, but at least I'm not sliding into other cars, ect. The a/s3's are more geared towards 3 season performance vs winter. I'd just as soon be on dry/wet tires, but some lite icy conditions hence the dws06's.
Otherwise as far as 3 season perormance, A/S 3+ do the best? Thats acutally what I am geared more toward is 3 season driving and at least a little better snow/ice traction than the shitty continental tires i got from factory...

·
FUBARCUS
7,767 Posts
Otherwise as far as 3 season perormance, A/S 3+ do the best? Thats acutally what I am geared more toward is 3 season driving and at least a little better snow/ice traction than the shitty continental tires i got from factory...
My Experience with the A/S3+ was that they were great in snow ice when I first bought them. 19k miles of very aggressive driving has worn them to about 30% tread and they are now useless in snow and ice which isn't surprising given how worn they are.

I had the old version of the DWS06 (Was just DWS) on an old car I no longer have and they were amazing, wore well, but the sidewalls were very soft.

·
Registered
494 Posts
For all-seasons in the conditions you're describing, I'm going to give a +1 on the continental DWS06. Their tread pattern is great in light snow/slush (very similar to the Michelin Alpin PA3) but their sidewalls are definitely super soft.

The Cooper RS-3A were decent in light snow too. They came on my focus from the factory so it was the first time I've used them and I like them.

Sumitomo HTR A/S PO2 were surprisingly good in snow for such a cheap tire. They're loud though so take that into consideration if you're looking to reduce NVH.

I'd advise against the Michelin A/S 3+. They're great all seasons in the dry and wet but suffer greatly in the snow and ice (you can tell by the tread pattern too.)

I'm currently using the General Altimax RT43s as my 3-season all-seasons since I have winter tires, but they've been great in the dry and wet. I haven't used them in the snow but a lot of people have been saying that it's pretty good in the snow too. Soft sidewall though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For all-seasons in the conditions you're describing, I'm going to give a +1 on the continental DWS06. Their tread pattern is great in light snow/slush (very similar to the Michelin Alpin PA3) but their sidewalls are definitely super soft.

The Cooper RS-3A were decent in light snow too. They came on my focus from the factory so it was the first time I've used them and I like them.

Sumitomo HTR A/S PO2 were surprisingly good in snow for such a cheap tire. They're loud though so take that into consideration if you're looking to reduce NVH.

I'd advise against the Michelin A/S 3+. They're great all seasons in the dry and wet but suffer greatly in the snow and ice (you can tell by the tread pattern too.)

I'm currently using the General Altimax RT43s as my 3-season all-seasons since I have winter tires, but they've been great in the dry and wet. I haven't used them in the snow but a lot of people have been saying that it's pretty good in the snow too. Soft sidewall though.
Any cons to soft sidewalls? You and another have made it sound like they are bad?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Any cons to soft sidewalls? You and another have made it sound like they are bad?
It depends on what you like. Soft sidewalls are usually meant to help NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) but also reduce steering response. I had to swerve out of the way of a box on the highway this past summer with the General Altimax RT43s and the lack of steering response from my jerk of the steering wheel to when the car's nose actually turned was pretty noticeable-but I can notice very small differences with my car so it may not be as noticeable to others, if at all.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ended up doin a little researching on tirerack.com and ended up finding the Vredestein Quatrac 5 grand touring all season tires. Has anyone on here had them on their focus and if so what are their thoughts? I might get the vredestein's instead of the a/s 3+ because the vredesteins ive noticed are a bit cheaper than the a/s 3+.

·
FUBARCUS
7,767 Posts
Ended up doin a little researching on tirerack.com and ended up finding the Vredestein Quatrac 5 grand touring all season tires. Has anyone on here had them on their focus and if so what are their thoughts? I might get the vredestein's instead of the a/s 3+ because the vredesteins ive noticed are a bit cheaper than the a/s 3+.
I've been interested in these as well. Not sure about them yet though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I think my final decision is between either the continental dws 06 or the goodyear comforttred. Looking into those two, sounds like the dws 06 has a quieter ride and better handling than the goodyears? Then again, the DWS 06 is an ultra high performance all season tire and the goodyear comfort is just a grand touring all performance tire. I can't choose between the two.... I do like how the continentals are a little cheaper than the goodyears though

·
Registered
494 Posts
There's one in a thread a bit lower than this one. I haven't used them but I've nothing but GREAT things about them. Less dry/wet performance but you get exceptional snow performance.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts