Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of air intake systems are you running?

·
Super Moderator
9,557 Posts
Moved to "DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)". Your questions are better answered here than in the regional forums.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Moved to "DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)". Your questions are better answered here than in the regional forums.
Thank you, I guess my "rookie" status is still showing!

·
Registered
68 Posts
i have the COBB performance filter. I extremely enjoy it and its a good price. I've ran it with the top cover on and off. and you will enjoy the sound of the open filter end.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
K&N drop in cone filter with stock box, snorkel delete, and airportal window. nice sound free'd up some mpg's and ponies

Thank you soooo much for adding a few pics. That is what I wanted to see.

Please don't think I'm a total retard but... what is snorkel delete?

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
I have a steeda short ram and I love it!

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Nope. I saved my stock box. I'm gonna try anyway once smog time comes around but we will see

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope. I saved my stock box. I'm gonna try anyway once smog time comes around but we will see
I had a short ram intake on a Toyota I used to have and I installed in NC. The smog guy said he couldn't even pass it because it did not have the sticker on it. He could have told be that before letting me just leave my car and charging me for a failed inspection. He was just money hungry.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I also have the full Steeda CAI kit and love it. Love it. LOVE IT. That said I upgraded from the open end K&N and for the cost even with the closed stock box it sounded much better than OEM.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Airaid CAI with a Outerwears prefilter

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just installed an Injen SP cold air intake/ snorkel delete this weekend and it sounds great so far! Install was super easy and the glossy black tube looks great. I went with the Injen because they use a dry reusable filter, which I am more comfortable with compared to a cotton gauze drop in that needs oil to filter correctly. Also on autoanything it came with a free injen pre-filter which gives some peace of mind! I can get a picture up if you want.

·
The ImpoSTer
2,285 Posts
I have the K&N typhoon intake and I love it. A little more pricey but you get more than with other systems. Also i believe it showed the most gains out of all the CAI options.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Actually no, the steeda and k&n are pretty even with both claiming 10 hp and 10 ft lbs of tq to be gained. I have learned not to trust those numbers in day to day driving and feel that the AEM is the best option because it is a true CAI that isn't stuck in the engine bay. Given the Steeda and K&N have heat shields, you can do a newmission mod to lower temps on both. The only other good option is stock with newmission and snorkel delete. Anything without a heatshield is not the best option, even over stock.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I also have the full Steeda CAI kit and love it. Love it. LOVE IT. That said I upgraded from the open end K&N and for the cost even with the closed stock box it sounded much better than OEM.
I wish we could use the Steeda intakes here in CA!!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
CAI or Short Ram Intakes?

If I'm correct, none of these options are true Cold Air Intakes since they are housed in the engine bay (drawing the heat of the engine) and not down near the front air dam (bringing in cold air).

You guys are great and thank you for giving me several options to consider. I'm just afriad I'm limited to AEM because of the stupid CA CARB law.

I love all the pics to see what other's have.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Since I can't afford much, I just did the snorkel delete and a $39 AEM Dry Flow filter... I did just the snorkel delete with a Wix paper filter for awhile but that wasn't much better than stock, just a touch more noise, really... but when I dropped the AEM in, you could definitely feel it in the butt-dyno, it likes to kick in traction control sooner/easier now and can feel it pull stronger as well.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
AEM and stock box are true CAI

1 - 20 of 65 Posts