Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a set of used SVT wheels. Two of them clearly are bent. I am planning to use these as a road course track only set with semi-slicks.
Seller says they hold air.
Should I be concerned?

Wheel 1

Wheel 2

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
one of my five spokes look like that and its fine.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Check them out to be sure they are round. I bought a wheel from a member, and it was out-of-round, cost a few bucks to get it fixed.Just take them to a garage, and mount it on the machine they use to speed balance - turn it slowly by hand and it will be immediately evident if they are out.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check them out to be sure they are round. I bought a wheel from a member, and it was out-of-round, cost a few bucks to get it fixed.Just take them to a garage, and mount it on the machine they use to speed balance - turn it slowly by hand and it will be immediately evident if they are out.

Checking them out first is out of the question, they are in another state...
How much was it to have your bent wheel fixed?

check with the sanctioning body as to whether they'll pass scrutineering/inspection at your track sessions.

I am not worried about making it through tech with the bent wheels, I am more concerned with, say, the tire flying off during a hard turn or something…

·
Registered
233 Posts
Take a hammer and pound it back into place.
... use a piece of strong hardwood( oak or hickory) to act as a "drift" betwen hammer and rim. This eliminates any chance of a missed blow and also marring the rim too badly. You could even profile the end of the wood to match the curvature of the rim.

Aluminum cracks easy- careful.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Let me try thins another way…. Other than the visual imperfections of the bends, is there any real concern that I should have with any type of tire/wheel failing using these wheels for a track set??

·
Registered
229 Posts
A bend so small won't cause any issues like you're describing. I doubt you'll even feel vibrations.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I had one of my wheels bend like that when a truck ran me off the road. He wasn't paying attention, and swerved into my lane. I had to go off the road, and in doing so, bent my wheel like the ones in the picture above.

Mine, however, didn't hold air very well. I used a hammer, bent it back, and haven't had a problem in the 5+ years since.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts