Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran into an interesting problem today. Changed a tensioner from Gates to OEM Ford and suddenly, a belt which ran for a good long time is now too short and the tensioner is fully tapped out with the belt on, no swing left in it. Not only that, but the revised belt run angle then kisses the tensioner main post, meaning that if one attempted to drive the car the belt would shred in short order. Something is different between the two parts, and it's not the outside measurements, thinking it's in the clocking of the internal stops. The tensioner arm is NOT running at the angle it was before.

So now have to match the belt length to the tensioner, W...T...F...??!!

2.0 zetec

·
Registered
17,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Today put a rebuilt Dayco tensioner on and better, but I clearly have not been looking at the belt length matching to tensioner as close as I should have been. Still way off to one side but not on the limit any more. Correct length belt as called out in every parts book on the planet. Gonna go looking for a slightly longer belt............funny I should run into this now, I've had no trouble getting belts on in the past and looked this morn at the old ones (kept for emergency) and all are the exact same part number. Odd. Even the OEM belt is same length.

I did find that the tensioner swing total angle was greater on the Dayco part as vs. the Motorcraft. Probably where the extra room showed up. Design different as well, no center post to intrude on belt as it passes tensioner, regardless of angle.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Are you 100% certain the routing is correct?
I know there was more than one way to route a JRSC SVT belt that caused the belt to be short.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
He's sure all right, just the first time he's run into the belt/tensioner issue himself & posting it up for general info..

Brings up & confirms an issue that's baffled members in the past.

·
Registered
17,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I note that at Rock Auto if you read between the lines there are at least 3 belts each about 1/4" different length from each other. 835, 837, 842, and you can forget using the stated belt lengths, Gates can't even quote them the same from master catalog to the belt cards themselves. Conflicting info everywhere there. Only way is to try them out. I got a 842, listed as anywhere from 83.4 to 84.7 outside inches depending where you look. They carry 840 and 841 at O'Reilly so more choice there. I went through this stuff back on the Contour zetec when the stated belt did not fit zetec E back when, I used a Focus belt to fit same identical engine. Ridiculous. I also note it almost seems if you buy someone's tensioner they want you to buy certain belt with it, how convenient for added sales.............but, no, that's gotta be me looking for conspiracies where none exist again..........

I saw your tensioner post as well elsolo...............

1 - 6 of 6 Posts