Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister just got an 01' ZX4 with the 2.0 ATX, and the day after she got it, the accessory/serpentine belt started to squeal pretty badly. I dont know much about these engines; I'm a Neon guy myself.

I put some belt dressing on it, and it would go away while at idle, but a ticking/grinding noise would happen upon application of any throttle.

I just took it for a drive, and it sounds like a constant squeal, going up with RPMs. It deffinately comes from the Serpentine belt area.

It doesnt get worse upon cranking the wheel, so I assume it's not a P/S pump problem. Also, A/C on/off makes no change.

It comes from the tensioner area, so could it be a bad bearing on the tensioner? That's about all I can think of myself.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
One should not put belt dressing onto serpentine belts... if the belt squeals the belt and/or the tensioner likely need to be replaced. Misalignment of the pulleys is a slight possibility, but highly unlikely, and would show up as unusual wear on the belt edge.

I would plan to replace the tensioner and the belt, and while the belt is off, check the other pulleys (water pump, P/S, A/C) to make sure they are not having a problem.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
The tensioner is a big problem on the focus, I myself had mine replaced three times in 5 years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

I've never heard not to put belt dressing on a serpentine belt, but I guess I have now. Originally, it did just seem like a squeaky belt.

I really dont want to work on this car as I'm moving soon so I guess I'll have to take it in.

It's good to know that the tensioner is a common problem, that helps narrow things down.

Thanks again!

Dustin Steinhorst

·
Registered
514 Posts
Mine was doing this and when I had the belt replaced, it looked like the belt was misaligned or something because there was one spot that looks like it had been chewed a little bit. After the belt was replaced, the problem was gone.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just replace the belt tensioner, is very easy and it just costs $30.00

1 - 6 of 6 Posts