Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after changing the accessory / serpentine belt and the belt tensioner I am still having issues. Looking at the standard routing diagram here is what happens. The generator pulley, belt idler pulley, and power steering pulley do not all line up properly. The belt idler pulley seems to be recessed.

The car runs and the belt stays on but is only half on the belt idler pulley. It makes me nervous that it could slip off anytime.

I tried to remove the belt idler pulley, with the idea of adding a spacer or washer to make the belt idler pulley stick out a bit more to allow things to line up properly but could not remove it.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Is the power steering pump in a straight line to the alternator pulley ? Most likly its the power steering pump pulley walking forward . It is pressed on the pump. I worked on a guys Focus , that didn't have the pully pressed on far enough. Also look straight down to the AC compressor, it should be obvious if Its not in line..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems more like the idler pulley has sunk in towards the engine rather than power steering creeping out of line.

Doesn't look like i can move power steering pulley.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Eh, I suggest purchasing a Motorcraft idler pulley from a dealer- and inspecting it before taking it to your car. I've noticed that most of the time the aftermarket manufacturers don't include things like spacers or washers with their pulleys if any are required. Stupid mechanics might drop a spacer or washer and not worry about it.

I've also noticed some discrepancies between MC parts and aftermarket when it comes to pulleys. Slightly smaller diameters, lack of guides for non-grooved pulleys that spin on the back side of the belt, and things like that. Yours should run on the back side, and I'd assume you don't have a guide, but I'll bet the factory pulley does. It's kind of a damned if you do or damned if you don't- the belt is off for some other reason, so if you had guides it would wear the belt out by pushing it against the guides, if you don't have guides then the belt wears out by being half on and half off.

The pulley should come off- leftie loosie, righty tighty. I'd remove the serpentine belt to make it easier. The belt will likely put the pulley bolt in a bind, and that means you'd be more likely to strip the threads and have a terrible time removing it. Hopefully you won't find out that some moron wrenched an SAE bolt in there because the OEM was lost.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds right. It looks like the original pulley is still on the car and it seems to be in good shape.

I recently had to have the top end rebuilt. Also had new timing belt and water pump put on. Would they have had to remove that pulley to do either one of those? If not i don't think it would have ever been removed before?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts