Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Similar issue here. Oil leak big enough to scare me. When you look up into the engine bay from underneath, it looks like a murder scene. lol
My local dealer has been awesome since day one when I got the car. They have addressed 90% of the issues super well. The other 10% they have not been able to duplicate. But that's another story.

The leak is between the clutch and tranny area. They took the car in, tested it and they ordered me a replacement clutch, and when that gets here, they will replace the tranny seal, and fixed everything. Hopefully it will work, and the tranny feels better.

Sometimes on the onramps or passing cars on the interstate, when you hit the gas to go, it feels like it misses a gear and loses power. Scares the crap out of me. I am actually afraid to merge sometimes, thinking that it will lose power as I am crossing a main road.

The fun of playing Russian Roulette with a car. lol Maybe that will end once the new clutch gets here in 6-9 weeks (as I was told is the wait for the new parts) :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well I had my 6th appointment to fix the leak a couple weeks ago. They ended up replacing the flex plate to crackshaft bolts. Jacked the car up last night to take a look and found that it is still leaking.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Well I had my 6th appointment to fix the leak a couple weeks ago. They ended up replacing the flex plate to crackshaft bolts. Jacked the car up last night to take a look and found that it is still leaking.
Definitely go with a different dealer. They're jacking you around, when they should know full well about the leak at the bellhousing being evidence of a contaminated clutch pack that needs replacement.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Can't imagine how that would help with an engine oil leak, and IF they really did that it would take trans. removal to do so.

Clutch pack to flex I've heard of with the engine/trans still hooked up, can't see how that would affect the engine oil leak either. Can't see how even if it was loose there that the crankshaft could wiggle enough to cause seepage.

[smackbum] on those characters, tooo many tries with no results.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Replacing the flex plate bolts solve's the oil leak? How about the rear seal or the trans seal? Love to see how they would of fixed a oil leak on a 73, 60 or 64 Powerstroke. We'll just replace the flexplate bolts vs removing the bedplates & resealing them & then the pan & front & rear engine covers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Replacing the flex plate bolts solve's the oil leak? How about the rear seal or the trans seal? Love to see how they would of fixed a oil leak on a 73, 60 or 64 Powerstroke. We'll just replace the flexplate bolts vs removing the bedplates & resealing them & then the pan & front & rear engine covers.
They said that the oil was leaking because the bolts were maybe not torqued correctly, but obviously that wasn't the problem as the car is still leaking. They have already replaced the rear seal 3 times so I'm thinking that probably isn't the cause either.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
They said that the oil was leaking because the bolts were maybe not torqued correctly, but obviously that wasn't the problem as the car is still leaking. They have already replaced the rear seal 3 times so I'm thinking that probably isn't the cause either.

Take it to a different dealer... imo

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
You could go to a different dealer to get a different interpretation of what is going on. I once had a turbocharged car that would "hunt" at idle and my dealer had my car for two weeks and could not figure it out. My dealer finally gave up and towed my car to a competing dealer who diagnosed the problem in less than an hour. It was drawing secondary air from a cracked rubber boot in the intake system.

If your dealer has actually replaced all the seals that they claim, I am leaning toward a porous engine block allowing oil to migrate through the casting. It is rare but it has happened to the Focus before. Honda and BMW have also had issues with this. Check this thread:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/general-car-chat-lounge/455441-brand-new-2014-focus-cracked-block-4.html

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
That was my thought early in the thread, sometimes you don't see what you aren't looking for.

Can't imagine doing the seal replacement wrong repeatedly, it's often a problem & doesn't always go well - but not three times!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well, I got my car back from my 7th service appointment a couple weeks ago, and the car is still leaking. When I picked the car up the shop foreman at Beechmont Ford said there was no evidence of an oil leak anywhere, and that the oil dripping from the bottom of the bell housing must be residual oil from the last time it was serviced because perhaps the mechanic didn't clean it up properly after my last service appt. So they cleaned everything thoroughly and said I should not be seeing anymore signs of a leak. But...

2 weeks later - STILL LEAKS! Oil is still dripping down from the bottom of the bell housing.

I suppose I'll look into having it serviced somewhere else. There isn't really any other convenient dealerships near me, but at this point I have zero confidence in Beechmont Ford being able to fix this.

·
Registered
139 Posts
You need to get your transmission seals replaced. They are faulty from the factory. I had a drip from my bell housing and it was transmissions seals. Seems like they've changed every other possible seal (I had my cam cover seals replaced and they still leak when I get into the 5k+ RPM).

Also, go to a different dealer. Keep bugging all of them too, and don't feel bad about it. They are just trying to stall and get away with doing as little as possible so once you hit 36k, suddenly the problem is found and it costs $1k+ out of pocket.

Dealership did the same thing with my Focus. Brought it in 4x under warranty for loss of coolant. They could never find anything. I get to 38k and the water pump takes a dump. Dealership was quick to let me know I'd have to pay out of pocket it if wasn't covered by the drivetrain warranty.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Well, I got my car back from my 7th service appointment a couple weeks ago, and the car is still leaking. When I picked the car up the shop foreman at Beechmont Ford said there was no evidence of an oil leak anywhere, and that the oil dripping from the bottom of the bell housing must be residual oil from the last time it was serviced because perhaps the mechanic didn't clean it up properly after my last service appt. So they cleaned everything thoroughly and said I should not be seeing anymore signs of a leak. But...

2 weeks later - STILL LEAKS! Oil is still dripping down from the bottom of the bell housing.

I suppose I'll look into having it serviced somewhere else. There isn't really any other convenient dealerships near me, but at this point I have zero confidence in Beechmont Ford being able to fix this.
Have you been to another dealer for a second opinion? Please let me know, along with your mileage, and I'll check out some options.

Meagan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
You need to get your transmission seals replaced. They are faulty from the factory. I had a drip from my bell housing and it was transmissions seals. Seems like they've changed every other possible seal (I had my cam cover seals replaced and they still leak when I get into the 5k+ RPM).

Also, go to a different dealer. Keep bugging all of them too, and don't feel bad about it. They are just trying to stall and get away with doing as little as possible so once you hit 36k, suddenly the problem is found and it costs $1k+ out of pocket.

Dealership did the same thing with my Focus. Brought it in 4x under warranty for loss of coolant. They could never find anything. I get to 38k and the water pump takes a dump. Dealership was quick to let me know I'd have to pay out of pocket it if wasn't covered by the drivetrain warranty.
I have heard of the transmission seal problem but have read conflicting things about it. Some posts on it say this problem causes transmission fluid to leak, while others say it causes oil to leak. Would these seals cause an oil leak or do they cause a transmission fluid leak?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Have you been to another dealer for a second opinion? Please let me know, along with your mileage, and I'll check out some options.

Meagan
I have not gotten an opinion from a second dealer yet but at this point I guess that is really the only option to try to move forward. My car now has approx. 42,500 miles, but I had 32,700 at the time of my first appointment for the leak back in December 2014. I had a previous case open on this, but I think it may have been closed. I've tried, but I haven't been able to get in contact with my previous CSM.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I have not gotten an opinion from a second dealer yet but at this point I guess that is really the only option to try to move forward. My car now has approx. 42,500 miles, but I had 32,700 at the time of my first appointment for the leak back in December 2014. I had a previous case open on this. The case number was [REDACTED] , but I think it may have been closed. I've tried, but I haven't been able to get in contact with my previous CSM.
I recommend deleting the case number for your privacy. That case is still open, and I've sent it back up to your CSM for review.

Meagan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Had the car in for an 8th appt (different dealership). The new dealership replaced yet another rear main seal for the leak. Also appears to have replaced the two transmission seals as well. I have checked it for leaks and haven't found any signs of further leaking. I will be keeping an eye on it though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Had the car in for an 8th appt (different dealership). The new dealership replaced yet another rear main seal for the leak. Also appears to have replaced the two transmission seals as well. I have checked it for leaks and haven't found any signs of further leaking. I will be keeping an eye on it though.
So how did this go? Seems like it got fixed since you didn't post further. I hope Ford Service is still active on here. I have a similar issue. Going on my third rear main seal failure in 60k miles. Still under CPO warranty. Thinking of going to a different dealer.
Being manual transmission, the oil gets on the clutch and affects driveability. They replaced the clutch the last two times as well.
So this is something that needs to be corrected somehow before warranty is up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
So how did this go? Seems like it got fixed since you didn't post further. I hope Ford Service is still active on here. I have a similar issue. Going on my third rear main seal failure in 60k miles. Still under CPO warranty. Thinking of going to a different dealer.
Being manual transmission, the oil gets on the clutch and affects driveability. They replaced the clutch the last two times as well.
So this is something that needs to be corrected somehow before warranty is up.
Yes, it has remained fine since my last post. No leaks at all since (knock on wood)! Definitely take it to another dealership if you are having problems. A different set of people and eyes could make all the difference in getting things fixed. Not all mechanics in these dealerships are created equal. Good luck!

·
Registered
165 Posts
My focus has a very slight, and i mean slight, oil leak where the front of the engine and the transmission bolt together. i have to wipe up a little dried oil every few oil changes. it doesn't leak enough to drip or cause issues. I have 140k miles on my focus and this leak has been here since 23k miles. the main reason i have never done anything about it is because i had read of other people having the same leak, going to the dealer to get it fixed and then they suddenly started having dtc transmissions problems. my tranny has not given me any issues so i didn't want to take the chance. no harm, no worry hear.

picture is of the worst I had ever seen it, which was over 2 years ago

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Daughers Issue, My Problem

Our daughter ran over a curb and cracked the oil pan on her 2008 Focus, 4 cly engine. We replaced the pan, using black silicone based sealant(auto parts store said there is no gasket required?) and still have a leak. Not exactly where but it appears to be on the time chain end. We did clean the all the surfaces good and wiped them with solvent. We also cleaned the bolts and put a small amount of sealant on about 4 theads from the end of the bolts.

Before we take it off again and repeat the process we would appreciate suggestions.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts