Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had my 2013 Focus in for warranty service FOUR times now for oil dripping from underneath the bell housing and noticed that it is still leaking. Now I will be making a fifth appointment to attempt to have it fixed. They have had dye in the oil for each appointment to trace the leak so I can't understand why they can't trace where it is coming from and fix it.

From what I have been able to make out from the paperwork and what they have told me, this is the steps they have taken to fix it:

1st appt:
replaced fuel pump tank seal
replaced camshaft position sensors and seals
replaced fuel pump housing and seals

2nd appt:
replaced engine crankshaft seal
replaced crankshaft rear main seal

3rd appt:

4th appt:
pulled the oil pan and transmission from the car
reinstalled both with silicone sealant on oil pan

On the second and third appointments they replaced the exact same parts. I love my Focus but this is becoming a major inconvenience.

Anyone else experienced anything like this?

**UPDATES**

5th appt:
Replaced the rear main seal again (for the third time).

6th appt:
Replaced the flex plate to crackshaft bolts and torqued them to specification

7th appt:
The shop foreman at the dealership said there was no evidence of an oil leak anywhere, and that the oil dripping from the bottom of the bell housing must be residual oil from the last time it was serviced because perhaps the mechanic didn't clean it up properly after my last service appt. So they cleaned everything thoroughly and said I should not be seeing anymore signs of a leak. But...

2 weeks later - STILL LEAKS!

8th appt (different dealership):
Took the car to a different Ford Dealership for service this time. The new dealership replaced yet another rear main seal for the leak. Also appears to have replaced the two transmission seals as well. I have checked it for leaks and haven't found any signs of further leaking. I will be keeping an eye on it though.

·
Focus Preacher
3,412 Posts
I've had my 2013 Focus in for warranty service FOUR times now for oil dripping from underneath the bell housing and noticed that it is still leaking. Now I will be making a fifth appointment to attempt to have it fixed. They have had dye in the oil for each appointment to trace the leak so I can't understand why they can't trace where it is coming from and fix it.

From what I have been able to make out from the paperwork and what they have told me, this is the steps they have taken to fix it:

1st appt:
replaced camshaft position sensors and seals
replaced fuel pump housing and seals

2nd appt:

3rd appt:

4th appt:
pulled the oil pan and transmission from the car
reinstalled both with silicone sealant on oil pan

On the second and third appointments they replaced the exact same parts. I love my Focus but this is becoming a major inconvenience.

Anyone else experienced anything like this?
I don't understand why they touched the fuel pump area for a leaking engine/tranny?

Do you have the 5 Speed or DCT?

If it's the DCT you have... I know DCT seals are prone to leakage... (which they didn't touched yet? why??)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Fuel pump leaks oil from the o-ring and drips down the bell housing so it is possible to leak oil. Usually the rear main seal is responsible. Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should have noted that I have the DCT transmission, which I have actually I had in for service as well with the "shudder" that a lot of other people have experienced. They ended up reprogramming the computer but I still have some slight shuddering from time to time.

·
Focus Preacher
3,412 Posts
Fuel pump leaks oil from the o-ring and drips down the bell housing so it is possible to leak oil. Usually the rear main seal is responsible. Good luck.
Ok I see ... you're talking about the high pressure fuel pump?

I was thinking to the one in the gas tank [:)]

because of that particular line...

1st appt:

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I should have noted that I have the DCT transmission, which I have actually I had in for service as well with the "shudder" that a lot of other people have experienced. They ended up reprogramming the computer but I still have some slight shuddering from time to time.
Given the repair attempts so far, it just may be your dealer doesn't know what they are doing, so I'll take a shot: this is a classic symptom of leaking seals between the transmission and clutch. Fluid leaks from the transmission along the input shaft and gets into the bell housing, which is intended to stay dry and which is where the clutch lives. The gasket between the clutch and transmission is not designed to hold fluid, so it leaks.

So, you may need a new clutch and new seals. The good news is these are covered by an extended warranty and should solve both your leak and clutch chatter problems. You may want to give a different dealer a try.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
... this is a classic symptom of leaking seals between the transmission and clutch. ...
Which would also explain why the dye they put in the engine oil was not helping them to find the source of the leak.

... They have had dye in the oil for each appointment to trace the leak so I can't understand why they can't trace where it is coming from and fix it. ...

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
I'm surprised at the number of attempts, though finding a small leak when the oil spreads after leaking can be tough - a larger one is easier to trace.

There was ONE thread I remember on a new car that turned out to be a porous block casting at the timing end, needing complete replacement. They're all treated with a sealant under pressure to avoid this, but in the odd case it still can happen.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It doesn't appear to me that the oil is dripping down the outside of the bell housing at all. The oil seems to be coming from inside the bell housing and dripping down through the bottom of the bell housing where the parts of the bell housing are joined together. The only evidence of oil that I have seen is at the very bottom of the bell housing at the seam.

·
Registered
368 Posts
It doesn't appear to me that the oil is dripping down the outside of the bell housing at all. The oil seems to be coming from inside the bell housing and dripping down through the bottom of the bell housing where the parts of the bell housing are joined together. The only evidence of oil that I have seen is at the very bottom of the bell housing at the seam.
This is a good indication that the source of the leak may be the transmission shaft seal. If it is the shaft seal, it won't be oil, it will be transmission fluid.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is a good indication that the source of the leak may be the transmission shaft seal. If it is the shaft seal, it won't be oil, it will be transmission fluid.
It is definitely oil. There was a dye added to the oil that gives it a dark green tint. Also, Ford has confirmed each time that it is an oil leak. I will jack the car up again tonight and take another look. I'm pretty sure that the only visible oil is at the very bottom of the bell housing, but perhaps it is leaking down from somewhere that is not visible to me.

·
Focus Preacher
3,412 Posts
It is definitely oil. There was a dye added to the oil that gives it a dark green tint. Also, Ford has confirmed each time that it is an oil leak. I will jack the car up again tonight and take another look. I'm pretty sure that the only visible oil is at the very bottom of the bell housing, but perhaps it is leaking down from somewhere that is not visible to me.
I don't know how many miles you have on your car but it seems that somebody slept on the assembly line and forgot something...

[:(]

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
They ended up reprogramming the computer but I still have some slight shuddering from time to time.
Hi guys,

I'll be more than happy to look into some additional assistance. Just PM me your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
*Update*

I picked up my car after my 5th appointment for the oil leak and Ford ended up replacing the same engine crankshaft seal that they have already replaced twice. It was suggested to me that perhaps the previous ones they put on were from a bad batch of parts and that is why it kept leaking.

It is generally a pretty slow leak so I will give it another weak before I take the time to jack it up and take a look to see if it is still leaking.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I got around to jacking the car up and taking a look, and guess what? It's STILL leaking!

I sort of expected this considering the part they replaced had already been replaced twice. If it didn't fix it the last two times why would it fix it now?

I was issued a case number from Ford for this but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with it or what good it will do me. I guess my next step is to figure that out and see if this can get escalated somehow.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Just keep after them as the Dealer still hasn't managed to find/fix the source of the leak.

Ford may end up sending someone to look at it, you COULD even end up with a new engine if it's a porosity issue as I mentioned earlier for an odd possibility.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
The GOOD news:

... you COULD even end up with a new engine if it's a porosity issue as I mentioned earlier for an odd possibility.
The BAD news:

Your new engine would be installed by the same dealer who "still hasn't managed to find/fix the source of the leak." (Still lots of opportunities for a bad outcome.)

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Well I got around to jacking the car up and taking a look, and guess what? It's STILL leaking!

I sort of expected this considering the part they replaced had already been replaced twice. If it didn't fix it the last two times why would it fix it now?

I was issued a case number from Ford for this but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with it or what good it will do me. I guess my next step is to figure that out and see if this can get escalated somehow.
I got your message, and I'll reply there as well. I'm looking into this, hang tight.

Meagan

1 - 20 of 40 Posts