Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright i've been searching around trying to get some ideas for what i want to do to my stock 2006 zx4 2.0 liter duratec and i figured i'd just ask all of you. What do you all think would be a nice progression to ease into modding my car. She's getting older now (2006, 80000 miles) and i suppose its time i can start having some fun and tinker with some bolt ons. Here's what i'm thinking (i would eventually like to whoop my friends new volkswagon hatch, turbo'd; 200+ horsepower)

Steeda or fs CAI (which one would you choose?), then the fs stealth exhaust, then maybe a throttle bottle or a new manifold?.

What do you guys think? im just trying to get some plans. I'm looking for 3 or 4 nice bolt ons. Once i get my credit card payed off (barely $600 left) im going to start buying everything. I look forward to hearing some opinions.

Mahalo

·
Registered
318 Posts
Like a fellow focus member said go naturally aspirated, and get dusted by those new turbo'd hyundais and and vw gtis , if you go forced induction , perferablly a turbo. Then you wuld be compitition and unexpected I'm actually very close to getting my turbo for my foci. That's my opinion, if you re not looking to g that route get some headers, intake, throttle body exhaust and tune and I heard its a completel new car. Just to gve you a few options

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hahaa. yea his car is so fast its unreal! i figure it is a completely different car once its turbo'd though. it just costs so much $$$ to do it! i was thinking coldair and then exhaust. but i like the header idea! what company would you go through to get them?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yeah very expensive wish we could throw a supercharger in our babies :( and yeah I know my friends have a mazdaspeed 3 sti and gt mannn they mad me want more hp ahaha.

Well some members have had other headers and sold their headers to get the fswerks why bcase it gives you good hp low and high rpm and they are very reliable and excelant quality. Could be the best or I could be wrong. Bu their turbos are highly reliable.

·
Registered
427 Posts
If you have a manual I would say save up and get the turbo, if its an automatic I would look into a valve body, I like a quick shifting transmission!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have an auto what would you get out of a valve body, how hard is it to instal?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Mod's

Alright i've been searching around trying to get some ideas for what i want to do to my stock 2006 zx4 2.0 liter duratec and i figured i'd just ask all of you. What do you all think would be a nice progression to ease into modding my car. She's getting older now (2006, 80000 miles) and i suppose its time i can start having some fun and tinker with some bolt ons. Here's what i'm thinking (i would eventually like to whoop my friends new volkswagon hatch, turbo'd; 200+ horsepower)

Steeda or fs CAI (which one would you choose?), then the fs stealth exhaust, then maybe a throttle bottle or a new manifold?.

What do you guys think? im just trying to get some plans. I'm looking for 3 or 4 nice bolt ons. Once i get my credit card payed off (barely $600 left) im going to start buying everything. I look forward to hearing some opinions.

Mahalo
For a decent N/A Mod's= a header, F/W's stealth exhaust, & a tune. As far as intake's= SRI = Steeda/ CAI = F/W's. That would be up to you. I have the Steeda myself. Try those & see what happen's then you could do a TB. That will get your credit card rolling. A decent Turbo kit start's at $4000.00, by the time your done your at 45-47 hundred! Plus you probilily don't have car payment's like your buddies, & that means a lot! Check out Central Florida Motorsport's, talk to William!

·
Registered
320 Posts
@claysax. you have the exact same car as me (except yours is silver) id recommend intake and exhaust with headers (if you can afford headers right now) like they said steeda for a sri fswerks for a cai and then fswerks stealth or race catback for the exhasut (depending how much noise you want) or a magnaflow not sure how reliable they are but they sound pretty decent. those are going to be some good mods to start out on and they are fairly simple to do and rather cheap too

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have an auto what would you get out of a valve body, how hard is it to instal?
Lentech makes a valvebody for our cars, and if you do go turbo, a new valvebody will help your atx handle all of the power you will be producing. as for the install I'm not really sure, they dont come with instructions for the install but im thinking that when i get mine i will take it to a tranny shop and have them do it.

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
Valve body isnt going to do a lot for performance till you start making some good power

I woud start with a tune , tuning with me you get FREE updates as you add more mods and I can change the trans psi among other things to make the trans more performance

Then header , exh , intake , TB

Tom

·
Registered
427 Posts
Valve body isnt going to do a lot for performance till you start making some good power

I woud start with a tune , tuning with me you get FREE updates as you add more mods and I can change the trans psi among other things to make the trans more performance

Then header , exh , intake , TB

Tom
Ik its just the atx is pretty responsive but it shifts kind of slowly, Its more of a make driving fun kind of thing.

·
NeedsMoarEverything
11,409 Posts
My first vehicle was a GMC Sierra, and it might not have made it much faster, but the shift kit certainly made it more fun! the 1-2 shift slammed people back in their seats. I could ease into first then tag it, and when it grabbed 2nd it would start spinning and sometimes kick sideways a bit.

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
Ik its just the atx is pretty responsive but it shifts kind of slowly, Its more of a make driving fun kind of thing.
A tune will do it better then valve body , a tune will chirp the tires thats if you want that snappy shifting

Tom

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
My first vehicle was a GMC Sierra, and it might not have made it much faster, but the shift kit certainly made it more fun! the 1-2 shift slammed people back in their seats. I could ease into first then tag it, and when it grabbed 2nd it would start spinning and sometimes kick sideways a bit.
Same exact thing a tune will do , I have had many ask me to soften the trans back some because it was shifting way to firm , with a tune you can also change your WOT shift rpm and I can shorten the time it takes the clutches to engauge and more

Tom

·
Registered
18 Posts
Same exact thing a tune will do , I have had many ask me to soften the trans back some because it was shifting way to firm , with a tune you can also change your WOT shift rpm and I can shorten the time it takes the clutches to engauge and more

Tom
Sounds like a sales pitch?

anyways go for what some call the BIG THREE. Intake-Exhuast-Tune
I like FSWerks for my focus, but thats primarily preference. Some like Steeda. The thing ive noticed with steeda (yes, ive bought parts from them) is they have very good customer service and decent parts where as FocusSport has amazing parts, but i dont know about customer service. (got everything i ordered on time with no defects so no reason to call and shoot the shit)

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I have a Steeda SRI on my 08. It is a great intake but I am not sure if they did any R and D on it. The filter hits the bottom of the Rad Support, and there is barely enough room to get it all in there. I would go with the FSW CAI.

But yes do the big three and then get a tune. The tune is amazing and you will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Be careful.
If it rains alot in your area,You may want to go with a SRI instead of a CAI.
Intake,Exhaust and tune should be Your top priority.
If you want more power after that,most people will tell You to go turbo....I chose n2o.
Its cheaper and the power is only on when You need it.
Just make sure its a wet kit and all safety precautions are in place.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts