Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey FF,

A few days ago was the first time I had drive my Focus in a couple months. (it was being driven, just not by me) While getting used to better vehicles in those two months (a Taurus and Crown Vic for ex.) it feels like my suspension is way too stiff. I can feel virtually every bump. Are all Foci like this? In other words, did I get spoiled before coming back to me car? [?|]

On a side note, I also don't remember the steering wheel being so durn far away. Or maybe I don't remember the pedels being so close. Either way I can't seem to find a comfortable driving position. Transitioning vehicles sucks [:(]

On an upside though, i discoverd I still have the "new car smell".[:)]

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah I was switching back and forth between my parents taurass and my focus... the differance is incredible... taurass is a smooth drive... going to my focus...

Lets just say I should cut out the floors and pull a flinstones and kick my way around. Would seem to be the same kind of feel... My leather seats keep me driving it.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
my wife had a 04 taurus last year and it was a lot nicer to drive than my focus it was smooth and comfortable but we got rid of for a 06 focus and it is amazing how much beter the 06 focus rides than the 04 focus I had.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Must be something wrong with your suspension, or the ZXW is quite a bit different from the ZX4. I am far, far from being a racer and there is no way the stock suspension on my Focus could even remotely be described as "beating me to death." Perhaps you need to get it checked out by the dealer.

"I also don't remember the steering wheel being so durn far away."

That one reason I went for the SES level... very few cars in this price range have a steering wheel that is both adjustable and telescopic. I'm 6' 2" and without the adjustable wheel and the crank-down seat I would find the Focus quite uncomfortable. The availability of the telescopic steering column was one of the key features that sold me on the Focus.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"taurass is a smooth drive... going to my focus..."

Out of curiousity, what's the mileage comparison between the two? Most OEM shocks are pretty well shot by 50,000 miles, some are even getting pretty bad by the time 25,000 miles comes around.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
A good suspension, well set-up will ride very well and comfy, but it will handle. you shouldn't be getting beat up, something is not right... You can have handling AND ride quality.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
viney266 said:
A good suspension, well set-up will ride very well and comfy, but it will handle. you shouldn't be getting beat up, something is not right... You can have handling AND ride quality.

Thank you, Thank you. I've been saying all along, there IS such a thing as "too stiff for good handling". Stiffness isn't everything- controlled compliance is. Now if I could just get thru to that chuckle-headed nephew of mine...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lets just say I should cut out the floors and pull a flinstones and kick my way around. Would seem to be the same kind of feel
Ha, glad I'm not the only one.

The availability of the telescopic steering column was one of the key features that sold me on the Focus.
REally? I always thought it was just a gimmick. I can't imagine anyone using it anywhere but fully telescoped. Where do you put it? (Also, my SE has the telescoping wheel to)

Anyway, to the folks that think something isn't right, think I should bring it up at my next dealer appointment? It's about time for the CD player to eat a CD, so I should be there anyway [:D]

·
Registered
489 Posts
You guys are forgetting 1 very big factor in ride quality.. TIRES. Theres a lot more cushion in a Taurus and Crown Vic Tire, than a Focus Tire.

I notice a Huge difference in Ride quality when ever I switch back to my thicker stock Tire on my focus.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts