Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got classic rythmic bearing noise from front end. Have determined problem is on the right side because noise gets louder when wheel turned to left and goes away with slightest turn to right. I'd feel certain it is hub bearing except: 1) with car raised and tire gripped & pulled/pushed at 12 & 6 o'clock, there is no play 2) a local tire shop said it is half shaft bearing because this is common problem with focus. So...is there a way to tell for sure which bearing is bad?

Note: Car has almost 160,000 miles and original bearings, so I know it would be a good idea to just go ahead and replace both. However, the half shaft is expensive whether I replace just the bearing or the entire half shaft. So, I really want to know for sure that is the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
More than likely it is your wheel bearing, but to be certain you can raise the car up in the air and put a mechanics stethoscope to each one and you will be able to tell by the difference in noise.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hands down it is your wheel bearing ... Block your rear wheels .. place car in neutral .. lift front of car and place your hand on the spring ... rotate your wheel with your other hand and you will feel the rumble : )

1 - 3 of 3 Posts