Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright peoples, here's the deal: I've been hearing this company Black Diamond Racing, usd to be the ONLY manufacturer of SPI throttle bodies (opening our 50mm up to 60mm). The problem is, they stopped making them apparently. I have contacted them, and numerous people on FocusFanatics about maybe doing a 'group buy' of the minimum number (20) of throttle bodies to see if they'll start making them again (at least for a limited time). I am presently waiting on an e-mail right now, but if you are interested, or have any more information on this topic, please let me know through here. Pricing will be posted ASAP after I hear back from BDR.

·
Registered
118 Posts
sweet playa im in for one maybe 2 (depends if my friend wants one to im pushing him into it though lol) and hows the shipping work bdr ships right to us or just one member of the group buy and then to us

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
I might buy an extra depending on the price if it is less then $250 then yes

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah I'm waiting on the price e-mail before i decided how many i want to buy ... these can be profitable if only 20 are bought ... and let's be honest, how many people in the world wil buy them other than us ... : )

·
Registered
950 Posts
i want one! sign me up!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey guys (and gals) this is what I just received back from Kevin at BDR today:

"Ryan,
The cost to make 1 SPI throttle body is about $1500.00(this is largely due to the 9-12 hrs. of machine tool set up time required to complete the 12 different machining operations that go into a single throttle body). Of course the more we make the less it costs and the first point at which they would cost about $250 each is 20 units. The reason we have not made any recently is because the demand has dropped to about 10 units/year. At this time, only you and 2 other people have shown interest and that is just not enough.
-Kevin "

So it looks as if we could pay around $250 each + S&H (estimate maybe $20?) for the throttle bodies ...

I still maintain we can get these off of Steeda's website (checked and they ARE compatible for SPI enigne, and apparently in stiock, although I am waiting for email confirmation about this too ...) for $279 + S&H as well, even if this doesn't go through.

so far I count 8 purchases waiting to happen on this forum (some people said maybe two)

We'll see who else may be interested, and figure something out. It would probably be cheaper to ship one box to one person ... instead of having bdr ship out 13 boxes to a bunch of address' all over the country. Maybe one person could accept payment through paypal, and pay for them all at once, then ship them out?

·
Registered
909 Posts
Sure why not? I can probably afford one by the middle of next month though.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alright, so far we have 10 ...

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'd be on it if I knew where to get a decent tune. :l

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
your car's computer will make the necessary adjustments for the additional air you are getting after driving for a bit, some normal driving, and some wide oen throttle driving.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
update: I received an email from pat at Steeda, and he claims the TB they have as 'in stock' is actually discontinued! (go figure) and no longer available. How about taking that one off the website, Pat.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yea, but with the TB and my other performance mods to come, I will need a tune or it will all be crap. There's no point if I can't get my car to make full use of what it has.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah we're trying to figure out how many people want in, we have about 1 so far. I am also waiting on a reply email from bdr too ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
i want one, i have been looking to get one, i know i can get one at autozone, but they want like 350 bucks for it, and this one the BDR one is larger i believe, count me in, i think i can have the funds by next month lol.... if we are still all going in on this???

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah the previous reply stating '1' interested was supposed to say '11.' you put us closer and closer to our required number of 20+. maybe they'll give us more of a discount too ...

·
Registered
46 Posts
i'm down for one.. when will you get a price on it?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.