Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got my 2014's software updated because of a recall and now my car is acting very weird. Turning my key the first time usually does not do anything and I have to return it to the accessory position and then it cranks fine. Also, even more concerning is that if I try to use my brights while driving my engine turns off.

I have taken the car back to the dealer to address these issues and they are saying it is faulty BCM connections and the BCM needs to be replaced. Originally it was going to be covered under warranty rightly so, but now their claiming I will need to pay for the repair.

Has anybody else had this problem? I can't believe they are trying to charge me for a problem that only showed up after the software update they did! I will not be getting a Ford next time I buy a car. I have had nothing but small problems with this car.

EDIT: the problem controller is the BCM not the ECU

·
Focus Preacher
3,415 Posts
I just got my 2014's software updated because of a recall and now my car is acting very weird. Turning my key the first time usually does not do anything and I have to return it to the accessory position and then it cranks fine. Also, even more concerning is that if I try to use my brights while driving my engine turns off.

I have taken the car back to the dealer to address these issues and they are saying it is faulty MCU connections and the MCU needs to be replaced. Originally it was going to be covered under warranty rightly so, but now their claiming I will need to pay for the repair.

Has anybody else had this problem? I can't believe they are trying to charge me for a problem that only showed up after the software update they did! I will not be getting a Ford next time I buy a car. I have had nothing but small problems with this car.

EDIT: the problem controller is the MCU not the ECU

This is no such thing as a MCU on the MK3 focus... did you meant BCM? (Body control Module?)

·
Focus Preacher
3,415 Posts
Yeah, the BCM. I have heard too many control module abbreviations today haha sorry
I've seen on FF a few BCM fail... they were replaced under the 3 years / 36k miles warranty.

Out of this warranty it is NOT covered by the powertrain warranty (PCM/TCM is though).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen on FF a few BCM fail... they were replaced under the 3 years / 36k miles warranty.

Out of this warranty it is NOT covered by the powertrain warranty (PCM/TCM is though).
My car is has ~40,000mi on it. Very peculiar that the problem would show up literally after I picked up my Focus from the dealer after they updated my TCM.

·
Focus Preacher
3,415 Posts
My car is has ~40,000mi on it. Very peculiar that the problem would show up literally after I picked up my Focus from the dealer after they updated my TCM.
This is indeed suspicious ... do you have another dealer close you can get a visit?

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
The headlights thing is Weird, if not for that I'd say TCM not BCM because that's a common item for odd starting when the trans. isn't cycling to start position properly AND it's related to the work just done.

(Second update on Title (grin))

·
Focus Preacher
3,415 Posts
The headlights thing is Weird, if not for that I'd say TCM not BCM because that's a common item for odd starting when the trans. isn't cycling to start position properly AND it's related to the work just done.

(Second update on Title (grin))
Yeah I say BCM because it control power in the whole car... if putting the highbeam shut down the engine... there is no way this could kill the engine if it was PCM or TCM!

Anyway something is fishy with the BCM and the DEALER!

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Anyway something is fishy with the BCM and the DEALER!
Agree and because of the expense involved in replacing the BCM out of warranty, I would want a second opinion. It sure sounds like the dealer screwed something up when they did the software update.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts