Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this morning I got in my car and put the key in and I noticed the chime didnt ding about the key, I turned the key alittle, radio didn't come on.

Went to start it and it didn't go. No lights worked. So I jumped it for about 20 mins and as soon I i connected it to jump it, the radio and lights worked. It finally started. I drove it to Advanced Auto Zone, and turned off the car, went to start it again, dead.

Bought a new battery, and it worked instantly. Does this sound like it was just the battery or is there anything I should look out for?

2011 Ford Focus SEL, about 50k miles.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Sure sounds like a battery, did they test the old one for you?

Checking charging by checking the voltage when running would be a good double check to make sure there isn't another problem going on. Should see 14 volts.

Test function of the trip odo can give an answer without a meter handy.

Hold the reset button down while starting until it runs & you see "test" appear. Then release & press the button repeatedly to scroll through functions until voltage appears.

Welcome!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure sounds like a battery, did they test the old one for you?

Checking charging by checking the voltage when running would be a good double check to make sure there isn't another problem going on. Should see 14 volts.

Test function of the trip odo can give an answer without a meter handy.

Hold the reset button down while starting until it runs & you see "test" appear. Then release & press the button repeatedly to scroll through functions until voltage appears.

Welcome!
They tried to test it, but the battery was completely dead they said they couldn't test it because of how dead it was.

Doing that test, I see Battery Voltage is at 13.9-14.0. If I press the gas it stays at a constant 13.9. Battery A/D Counts 700-720

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
That confirms the shot battery.

Looks OK, and now you've got an extra trick for checking things. Numbers would be slightly higher checking directly at the battery with a meter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That confirms the shot battery.

Looks OK, and now you've got an extra trick for checking things. Numbers would be slightly higher checking directly at the battery with a meter.
Thank alot, I never knew that test was there.

I'm going to take it back tomorrow to get them to test it directly at the battery.

So no chance this is the alt not charging the battery right? After I jumped it and drove it, while driving if I turned on the headlights, the radio went out. All is well with the new battery though.

Thanks alot, this morning sucked. First the car didnt start, took forever to charge it. Went to pay for the new battery and found out I left my bank card at a store, which is now stolen. So I had to cancel the card and now wait. Hopefully it's all good now!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Now that you know that trick, you can check voltage while driving if you suspect any intermittent issues with system voltage.

Unless you see one when monitoring in that manner, any other strange happenings aren't related to voltage variations.

(Radio shouldn't just quit, even if running only on the battery)

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Not enough info..

It's going to vary a bit depending on WHEN you check it. For example, it's not unusual for it to be slightly low after starting the engine & it'll rise to a steady number as the battery recharges.

Warning lights replaced gauges long ago, so even those who might actually understand & be able to use either isn't used to seeing the changes under different operating conditions.

Gauge number is always slightly lower than reading at the battery BTW, how close varies by vehicle. Learning your own norms helps in determining when something is different.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts