Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did a load test on my battery as a part of my general maintenance routine and it looks like it's time to replace. I noticed lots of space on the sides of the battery.

With that being said, I am always game for an upgrade.

What group size battery fits into this space? I would love to stuff the biggest battery in there I can fit.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I just did a load test on my battery as a part of my general maintenance routine and it looks like it's time to replace. I noticed lots of space on the sides of the battery.

With that being said, I am always game for an upgrade.

What group size battery fits into this space? I would love to stuff the biggest battery in there I can fit.
Typically two sizes of batteries where used in the 00-07 Focus: Group 96R and Group 40R. They have similar specs but the 40R is wider. Some manufacturers will sell only one of the sizes. The important thing when you comparison shop sizes/brands it to look closely at CCR, Reserve Capacity, and warranty. Depending on a battery's internal design a given smaller battery can sometimes have better specs than a larger battery.

The 2003 Focus owners manual lists the 96R for the Zetec engine and 40R for the SPI engine.

Hope this helps
Good luck
Paul

·
w/ my magic bag
29,317 Posts
I went w/ a group 91ext which fits in the battery case, yea I did have to cut off the little hold down triangle at the ends of the case, thou. Fits great width, length & height w/ the battery box cover. If you don't want to run the cover, there are a few more choices......btw East Penn makes the oreilly battery's.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I went w/ a group 91ext which fits in the battery case, yea I did have to cut off the little hold down triangle at the ends of the case, thou. Fits great width, length & height w/ the battery box cover. If you don't want to run the cover, there are a few more choices......btw East Penn makes the oreilly battery's.
Be mindful of the height too. I tried to put in a Group 24 battery in a pinch and the length/width was fine but the height difference was too much so the cables woudn't reach. If the substitute is within about a half inch of the stock battery height, you should be ok but more than that might not work without extending the cables.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,317 Posts
Be mindful of the height too. I tried to put in a Group 24 battery in a pinch and the length/width was fine but the height difference was too much so the cables woudn't reach. If the substitute is within about a half inch of the stock battery height, you should be ok but more than that might not work without extending the cables.
Of course, thats why I went w/ that size as it had the same height as I wanted to use the battery box cover. 11''L x 6-7/8w x 6-7/8 h vs a 96r or 40r ca & cca's.

·
Registered
15,426 Posts
Be mindful of added height, there is one corner that comes close to hitting the hood...........you can also detach the last 1 or 2 cable attachment points to get a little bit more cable length in effect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts