Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Black Mesa Racing
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like it says, i really want to do this. For multiple reasons.

Has anyone done this? And what do i need to do it? Is it hard?

thanks!

·
Jetsetter
6,654 Posts
i havent done it personally but its pretty stright forward, i believe summit racing sells kits as does jegs

·
Official FF Sanjaya
2,075 Posts
i've done it, summit has a nice little kit but the battery box they give you is ridiculously oversized for a focus battery...we ended up making a custom box out of wood for holding the battery in place, the stock cover for covering the battery, and the strap that came with the kit...drilled a hole near the right rear wheel well and ran the positive cable through that...we also put rubber hose over the wire because it was exposed to the elements...ran it under the car to the stock location from there...

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
I did this in my old vehicle. Go to Autozone or walmart and get a marine battery box.

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
CFM has this nice kit too: http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1869

I'm contemplating doing this also. I think it really cleans up the engine bay. I've heard it's best to do with batteries like the Optima (can't remember what they're called). But for me, that hood duct draws in water so that'd be my main reason, is to protect the battery.

And Andrew, as good as your engine bay looks now, it'd look even sicker with this.

·
Black Mesa Racing
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^ i know! and then i could clean it more! hahaha! i'm an evil cleaner.

we should get this and do it at the same time. just an idea.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
You guys are venting these batteries right? Batteries release toxic fumes into the air and i you don't have proper venting of these to the outside air you breath them in. Unless its a drycell battery. Then you don't have to worry about it.

·
Black Mesa Racing
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys are venting these batteries right? Batteries release toxic fumes into the air and i you don't have proper venting of these to the outside air you breath them in. Unless its a drycell battery. Then you don't have to worry about it.
please explain, does opening my windows count as venting? or is there some kind of system for this?

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Basically wet cell and gel cell (gel cell less so) release toxic gasses as they charge. A byproduct of the chemical reaction that takes place. These gasses need to be vented outside the car otherwise you will be inhaling them. (unless your windows are down. lol) The best way to do this is to build a sealed box to put the battery under and then run a vent of some sort to the outside air either by hose or some other way.

The nice thing about a drycell battery such as the PC680 from Odyssey is that you don't have to vent them as they create no gasses.

·
Black Mesa Racing
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^ok good to know

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think i'll look into this because i'd like to ghetto rig a k&n air filter that fits a v8 gmc to my intake, and make a duct that directs cold air to the compartment where the filter'll be.

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
jetrinka is right on about the venting thing. That's what I was trying to get at earlier but my fingers were covered in french fry grease so I didn't do my research first. lol

I currently use a yellow top Optima battery, which from what I've read are good batteries to use when relocating (at least in a ZX3).

Here's a couple points from their website regarding their battery:
# Spill-proof, even if the case is physically ruptured
# Will not off-gas in normal operation, eliminating fumes, odor & corrosion

I hope that means what I think it means. Anyone know?

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
^ i know! and then i could clean it more! hahaha! i'm an evil cleaner.

we should get this and do it at the same time. just an idea.
Yead, I'd be way down to do the installs. Should be pretty easy stuff. And hey, it'd be way easy to hook up an amp [grinking]

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
ya i thought about this but idk that steeda kit from cfm looks sealed so would i have to still vent it and if so how

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
I think it would depend on the type of battery. If it was a typical battery then I think you would most definitely have to vent it. But if it's the kind that don't emit gasses (like the optima's I think) then you probably don't have too but I'm not an expert.

I'm going to research it a little more first.

From what jetrinka said, sounds like you could just get a hose of some sort and route it to the outside. Shouldn't be that difficult to do.

And Rover, that's quite the interesting set up. NEver seen that set up before, looks good.

·
Registered
750 Posts
HTP Braille battery Setup Link

We should be releasing these soon, with in the month. I didn't see a point in moving the battery to the rear when you finally add up the weight of the stock batter and extra cables.

The battery is holding up well in the cold weather but I do not plan to run the car during the hard winter months although we will be testing it in the other focus over the winter.

The production trays will be made of aluminum and a HTP hold down will be used instead of the one pictured. This will fit the Zetec and Duratecs. Not sure on price yet. Send a pm if interested.

Jason

·
Black Mesa Racing
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
reasons why i'm moving mine is for better weight distribution. and for the room i will need when i turbo.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts