Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Thats What She Said
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a new battery. My Jeep battery is dying so the red top is coming out of that and my focus red top is going into the Jeep. This is so I can perhaps get a smaller lighter weight battery. I am looking in the $150 price range for a light weight battery. what options are out there or what do people use. the Focus is no V8 with high compression so don't need a battery with 700 cold cranking amps. but it is my DD so need to make sure my weekend warrior will also crank after being in the cold parking lot at work.

Thanks.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
You might as well walk into any parts store or even Walmart and pick up the battery that is recommended for our cars. I've been running Walmart batteries in both my cars for a three or so years now and never experienced an issue. And both cars have fairly strong audio systems with with all OEM battery and charging systems.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
Yea, believe or not those wallyworld battery's are pretty good also checkout interstate.

·
Thats What She Said
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was looking for a lighter weight one that would work all season for a DD. but it looks like that does not really exsist.

Figured out the Jeep just needed a new starter (its clock work almost every 2 years... Chinese re-manufactured stuff.... but hey life time warranty). The battery did failed the ignition test that they did on my jeep yet it cranks over beautifully every time. It might be failing the RedTop Spec but still has lots of juice to crank it.

I would likely go with another RedTop if there is not a light weight alternative. My father in law buys batteries from WallMart and He is always having problems. I love the Optima's just wish they made one 10 lbs lighter and 1/2 the CCA.

·
Thats What She Said
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's 37 lbs... I think its 5 lbs more than my Optima.

Also I like my AMG / Dry Cell style battery also. Even though its going to go in a battery box the less chance for out gassing or spillage the better since it will be going in the back of a hatchback.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
That's 37 lbs... I think its 5 lbs more than my Optima.

Also I like my AMG / Dry Cell style battery also. Even though its going to go in a battery box the less chance for out gassing or spillage the better since it will be going in the back of a hatchback.
Have you checked you checkout Tirerack. I remember they had some light weight battery's.

·
Thats What She Said
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have not yet. I have looked at the Odyssey and Braille. Seems like once you go for one they recommend is rated for all seasons and Daily Driving you end up with a 27 lb battery... so only a few pound savings. Looks like if I want to do the light weight thing on my DD I need to have two batteries. and swap out the battery for track days.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
I have not yet. I have looked at the Odyssey and Braille. Seems like once you go for one they recommend is rated for all seasons and Daily Driving you end up with a 27 lb battery... so only a few pound savings. Looks like if I want to do the light weight thing on my DD I need to have two batteries. and swap out the battery for track days.
Yea thats the battery's they have= Braille, iirc.

·
Thats What She Said
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
they make one that is 6 lbs... but states that its for warm weather use only and recommends only for tack use... the next one up is a 15 but still does not recommend for operation below 40F and then the 27ish is there smaller battery that states in literature its rated for all seasons and operation at or below 0F.

Was hoping that there might be information out there on what the minimum CCA requirement would be for the Focus. guessing the Factory battery specifications would be the safe "minimum"

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
Those are to say lbs? How are the optima battery's & whats better the red, yellow or blue for a DD. I have a motorcraft 40r, that I put in '10. The oem one was still going but I got this one out a wrecked '10 foci w/ low miles.

·
Thats What She Said
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes those are lbs sorry I did not keep units with the numbers.

Red is designed more as a starter DD type battery. yellow and blue tops are more deep cycle. I think the blue top costs a bit more due to also being Marine certified in use and carried a longer warranty. (wont find these in most stores) most part stores carry the Red or the Yellow Tops.

The Red will handle most anything and great for all autos. you usually go to the yellow if you need the life of a deep cycle. they provide the same CCA (or close to it) but can handle more almost complete discharges. the red tops are good for a hand full of 100 to 10% discharge type usage where the yellow and blue tops are closer to the hundreds of cycles. Yellows also cost more than red. Usually unless you have a huge car stereo pushing more than 3-4 thousand watts or a winch (or some other device that draws a lot of power when the car may not be on) the red top is the best choice for a DD Focus.

I guess I spoke before doing more of a search the Braille B2015 is a every day use battery and is 15 lbs (so more than 1/2 the weight).

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Look up kinetik batteries. AGM like the Braille but less money I think. They are car audio batteries but I am using one in my Monte Carlo for a starting battery for the past 3.5 years with no problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts