Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll need to check with voltage meter, but I'm betting it's the voltage regulator.
Where is this located?

·
Registered
467 Posts
its built into the alternator, I will bet you need to replace the alternator, but first check the wiring on the black plug at the alternator, then use a dvom and check voltage from the red wire at the alternator, then I would have to guess replace the alternator

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
make sure to check the Voltage Regulator Fluid! It could just be low...

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^?????

And where is that fluid?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Before you change anything check the wires on the clip(plug to the ALT. They are notorious for pulling out of the plug. There is also a repair kit from ford. If that is your problem post it up and I will give you the #...

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks For the good tip
I'll keep you posted

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok...voltage test showed ovdercharging alternator and a bum battery.Changed the battery and the lite was still on. Swaped out a wiring harness and all is well.
Thanks to FocusTech &Liquid 1: you nailed the problem!

·
Registered
467 Posts
not a problem don't mind at all, it is odd usually I see more failed alternators than the wiring issue I have only seen one personally at least it was an easy fix[thumb]

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Scott_SVT said:
make sure to check the Voltage Regulator Fluid! It could just be low...

^^^Lol, that joke made it a whole day with no-one calling it out...

Glad you got the easy fix!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1 Posts
battery light on when car is off.

hi
battery light on when car off. it flickers sometimes. and sometimes its not on.
new battery new altenator. check voltage battery 13.3. running 14.5.
after car sat for two days votage on battery was 12.65. started car went to
14.4. please help

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
Wow... thanks for bringing back a 6 year old thread. Look above the avatar on the top left corner of each post and you'll see that the last post made to this thread was in June 2006. For future reference, you want to start your own thread and not post in someone else's even if the problem seems the same differences between the vehicles might make for a different solution. Go to the General Technical Chat front page where the threads are listed, and in the upper left hand corner there is a yellow button that says "Post New Thread" Click that, write up about your problem, give us your year model vehicle, engine, and mileage.

Your engine is different, and Duratecs aren't known for having this particular wiring problem. It's worth checking though, but you probably need a new alternator. The alternator is not easy to change out in that vehicle. Here is a How-To on it
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281635

1 - 13 of 13 Posts