Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus se hatchback Manual Transmission
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is a 2013 Ford Focus se eco boost hatchback (MT) and the battery light came on about a week ago. I had just replaced the battery a couple months ago so I assumed it was an issue with the alternator but after taking it in, the dealership tech diagnostic said that the Automatic Grill Shutters need replaced to the tune of $1,300.
I don't know a ton, but I don't see the connection between the battery warning and the AGS system?
The tech also mentioned the pigtails need replaced which makes more sense.

Before taking it in, my car was starting fine and running completely fine. There was no issue with lights dimming or the car dying on me. There was one day where I didn't start it or drive it at all and the following day it had trouble starting. It wasn't the normal dead battery click and again the lights and electronics inside the car were working as I was trying to get it to start.

Any idea of what I should look into? Just trying to avoid spending $1,300 if that's an unrelated issue to the car starting and battery warning light coming on.

·
Registered
2013 Focus SE gray 5 spd hatch
1,740 Posts
I also can't see any correlation between the battery light/starting issue and the grill shutters. They have nothing to do with each other. To me it sounds like bs from your mechanic. Go to another shop and make no mention of the grill shutters to them as they diagnose your car.
Which pigtails exactly were said to need replacement? Is the battery light always on? There's a BMS(battery monitor system) on the MK3 Focus. If you had a dead battery and replaced it without having the BMS reset then this might be why the light is on. Check all your positive cable clamps and connections on the battery. Also, check the negative cable and all grounds on the block, body, and anywhere else a ground connects.

·
Registered
Ford Focus SE Sport 2003
428 Posts
I also can't see any correlation between the battery light/starting issue and the grill shutters. They have nothing to do with each other. To me it sounds like bs from your mechanic. Go to another shop and make no mention of the grill shutters to them as they diagnose your car.
Which pigtails exactly were said to need replacement? Is the battery light always on? There's a BMS(battery monitor system) on the MK3 Focus. If you had a dead battery and replaced it without having the BMS reset then this might be why the light is on. Check all your positive cable clamps and connections on the battery. Also, check the negative cable and all grounds on the block, body, and anywhere else a ground connects.
I can’t say for sure with your 2013 but I have that system on my Escape 2014 because when I replaced the battery a few years back, the battery warning would always pop up as soon as i had the key in the ignition (otherwise running fine). A reset command sequence had to be performed. If I let the ignition ON with the radio ON, the power would cut off despite the battery being brand new. A simple sequence fixed the issue.

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus se hatchback Manual Transmission
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I’ll look into having the BMS reset and check the wiring. Their test said both the alternator and starter were fine so it could also be the cable or connector issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts