Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
My 2003 ZX3 had a battery light come on and wouldn't turn over. I changed the old dead battey and the car started and ran fine for a few days (60 miles) The bat light came on and off however.

Day 3 the car's instruments and lights went dead then it began cutting out then it stalled dead. It turns over very slowly but wont start.

From what I see here it sounds like the altenator was not charging the battery and I was running off the battery?? Im not an expert[:I]

Im thinking bad alternator or connectors.
Any guidance would be appreciated!......Ken

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Sounds like you are thinking correctly. Might be just wires, but the alternators don't last forever on these things. Check the how to for putting your car into diagnostic mode and see if you are putting out 13 volts. If not, then it could be time.

Try and find someone locally that is able to rebuild your alternator if it really has crapped out on you. The remanufactured ones from the major chain stores are hit or miss.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Same thing my alternator did when it died, put in a PA Performance one from CFM, no probs since. (Also changed the pigtail)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will look into the alt and pigtails. Hope it is something simple.
This is a nice forum.

--Got a quote for replacing the alt. 450.00 installed. Not sure if thats a good price.
From my calculations 150 for the alt and 65 labor, thats a 4.6 hr job??

BTW I am a recovering GM fan for decades.

·
Registered
528 Posts
hmm thats not bad, but my alt was 240 alone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts