Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Forced to move on...
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wednesday last week I realize that the light on my odometer (just the odometer, the rest of the gauges are fine) is very dim. Then the next day, my car's battery light randomly came on. I went to Auto Zone and they checked out my battery and alternator and said they were fine. When I went to get new tires today, my local mechanic did a more thorough check and also said everything was fine.

Does anyone know why my odometer light all of a sudden went dim and/or why my battery light is on for no apparent reason? [dunno]

Thanks guys! [:D]

·
Registered
231 Posts
Have yet to experience on a Focus, but a Camaro I had had the same trouble due to a faulty ground wire. Check the on from your gauges, near the radio, and then the main, or any other interior ones you can think of. thats all I got man, good luck!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I made a ground kit and it helped mine on the dimming, it took my alternator about 6mo to die and the light would come off and on

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
my system caused my alternator to go two years ago. light came on and the car acted well for a bit, i was told they found it was starting to fry

·
Forced to move on...
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We just checked and cleaned the ground wires and they seem fine.

A new development to the problem:
The light comes on about 5 seconds after I start the car.
It goes off every time I hit 3,000 (or more) rpm.
It comes back on 5 seconds after going below 2,500 rpm.
I dunno if that means that anything different is going on than before [dunno]

Thank you again! [:D]

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
its most likely your alternator regardless of what the test says.

Basically when your alternator is spinning FAST it is putting out enough electricity for the car but when it slows down you are not getting enough.

The zetec alternators are a POS lol...

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
> Basically when your alternator is spinning FAST it is putting out enough electricity for the car but when it slows down you are not getting enough.

I agree. The symptoms definitely point to a weak alternator.

I would measure the system voltage at various RPMs as a first diagnostic step.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts