Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i guys i am new to this forum, i havent really said my hello's yet but i am needing some serious help. i have a 2002 SE SPI with less than 100K on the odometer, my issue is i was having problems with the car starting and some times the battery would be dead. the first thing i did was replace the starter, which now it starts great and the battery hasn't died yet but i seem to have a battery light on and the transmission will no longer shift properly. i also replaced the alternator and had the battery tested. so my main question is where did i go wrong and cause this issue? if someone could post a wiring diagram without the DOHC wiring included that would be great so i can chase down the issues. oh and another thing, i know about the gauge cluster secret and how to get to the volts im at 12.4 before starting and when it cranks over it drops to about 9.7 then goes back up to 12.2 HELP ME PLEASE i have been working on this issue for the last 4 days

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat, best for most repair questions.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
12.2 to 12.4 volts indicates no alternator output. You need to see 14.5V +/- with the car running. "Battery light on" indicates a charging system issue despite your new alt and battery. Check alt wiring connector, alt output (again), thick red alt wiring (cables) for possible shorts and opens, battery clamps at battery for tightness and cleanliness, all engine grounds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i got it up to 13.6 when i revved it up. but what i dont understand is this dumb issue. all i did was change out the starter and now i get all these issues. i had 2 alternators tested with a rough output of 14.5 volts from each then tested the original one again and it failed i think there is a power draw or severely corroded wire issue somewhere on this car or a bad ground. but what would cause it not to shift other than a bad solenoid "A" i really dont want to tear into the tranny

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
The big positive wire from the battery goes to the starter and then to the alternator. Check for corrosion all along it and at the contact points.

·
Registered
17,502 Posts
The battery to alt cable can commonly melt at the starter location.

·
Registered
34 Posts
In addition to the positive wire, double check your grounds as well. Not sure on this model but there is a ground under one of the upper starter bolts on some models. Oh and don't assume a new alternator is a good one, especially a rebuilt/remfg one. There isnt much quality built into these anymore unfortunately.

Scott

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Luckily the alternator im testing is used and only cost $12 but my biggest concern is the shifting malfunction

1 - 10 of 10 Posts