Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
our battery light came on today as we were getting home my fiance turned the car off and restarted it then the light was off. i did some research and it points to the alternator but im not sure becuase the light went back off any thoughts?

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
hook up even a cheap mulitmeter or have your battery and alternator tested (beware of how they test it if you take the car to an auto parts store)

good alternator will show around 14.2 volts charging (while the vehicle is running of course)... if it's riding somewhere around 13.8 the battery may be bad and a load test will indicate if it is or not. If it's lower than that the alternator is gonna need replacement. After that, see where the voltage sits with the car running. if it's around 13.8 still then the bad alternator took out the battery too.

also, [welcome] to FF :)

I'm guessing the light will come on again after it's driven for a bit. I don't know how it works on the focus but it probably resets each drive cycle.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
The "battery" light indicates a problem with the charging system. So you'd need to check out the alternator, the battery and any associated wiring.
Specifics:
The electrical connector to the back of the alt can sometimes become brittle and cause intermittents.
Battery post clamps should be clean and secure.
Voltage regulators (internal to the alt) - when they fail - can cause voltage spikes and no charge situations leading to intermittent problems - dimming head lights, dash light "weirdness", starting problems, etc.
Alt should put out 14+ V when car is running.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you all

thank you everyone for the reply my apologies for the delay been busy with pt for my back and getting the car looked at. turns out it was the inline fuse for the alt it was the original one from the factory and was pretty corroded and thats what caused the light to come one had that replaced ths afternoon and the car light has been off

1 - 4 of 4 Posts