Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My battery light came on a few weeks ago but kept coming on and off. Today it is staying on permanently and the car is also cutting out. If the car is cold it stays on and don't cut out and I can drive it fine. As soon as it warms up and I turn it off and turn it back on again it cuts out, will even cut out changing gear when revs drop coming up to lights etc.

No Engine Light just the Battery Light is on.

Any Help?

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,612 Posts
Run by a parts store and have them check the charging system...its free.

I suspect an alternator problem. The alternator MAY pass the test if it is cold like you say, so make sure it is exhibiting the problem when going to have it tested.

Car will often not run right with an alternator that is not functioning properly. Almost everything on the car is computer controlled and if the electrical system is not correct then expect all kinds of additional problems.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok il go by. Apparently though the alternator has to be out of the car for them to test it does it not?
is it difficult to replace yourself?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Ok il go by. Apparently though the alternator has to be out of the car for them to test it does it not?
is it difficult to replace yourself?
Go to a shop or parts store that'll test your alt & see if its putting out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just called 2 places here in Calgary and they say it has to be out so dunno mayb just drop it to a mechanic and let them sort it.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
I just called 2 places here in Calgary and they say it has to be out so dunno mayb just drop it to a mechanic and let them sort it.
Go to a shop or parts store that'll test your alt & see if its putting out.
A good tech or parts store can see if its putting out voltage/amps when its in the car......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts