Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My battery light came on once before but immediatly went off so i blew it off, and I had just put a new alternator and battery in a few weeks before. Well its now about 2 months later and i started my car to get the heat going and when i returned the battery light is on and i smell something like an electrical fire. I turned it off and back on and the same thing happens then when i gave it gas it went back off. I started driving slowly and i could hear a whining very faint and it wasnt my JRSC. Then it stopped. Once i hit the highway everything is fine then the light came back on and i punched the gas and it went right back off. I went to the parts store and they showed everything was good on their test. Could it really be my brand new 3 month old alternator? Please help this is my daily driver and sees 45 miles one way everyday so i need it.

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
Battery cables shorted out on the engine block. Order a new set from ford

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
Put a protective sleeve over the hot + wire from the alternator to the starter just in case

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where are they on the block? Are they behind the engine im guessing cause all my grounds were good, but i couldnt trace the power wire without jacking it up and crawling under which is what i didnt do. Do you have a part number?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE: Well i checked the cable and it was perfectly fine, then on my way to work the other day the issue came up again, except this time my gauges went crazy and then finally went out. Once they came back on the abs, battery, and brake light were on. Then on my way home from work the battery light came on and off a few times again then finally im guessing the alternator crapped out cause i lost all power and had to pull off the side of the interstate. Luckily i had a coworker following me home incase of this happening since i had a gut feeling it wouldnt make it home. We jumped it off 4 or 5 times before we finally got the car to my dads house. I pulled the alternator and took it up to oreillys for testing and it was putting out almost 28 volts. Problem solved, new alternator free of charge as the other one was under its lifetime warranty from oreillys and its was only 5 months old.

TIP: for anyone changing their alternator on a focus with a jrsc, i found it much easier to just remove my catalytic converter and oil filter and the alternator pretty much just dropped right out the bottom versus having to remove the blower to get the alternator out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The same thing happens to me it is the alternator sorting out internally mine was a referb alternator from advanced auto mine ended up seizing from shorting out and the caught on fire it was only one month old when it did this.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think mine was on its way to seizing up because once i got the alternator off i noticed one of the 3 bolts that goes through it to hold it together was almost all the way backed out, so the guy testing it at oreillys tightened it to see if maybe that was the only problem and well it wasnt because once it was all tight again, the alternator was stiff to turn and the bearings were sqeeky. Before i put the new one on i snugged down the 3 bolts a little so i can be sure the same issue wont happen again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts