Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked the battery this morning and found this white powder fuzz looking stuff all around the terminals. No liquid around the battery so i'm not sure if its a leak. Should I just replace the battery? or just clean it off?

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
Go to the auto parts store and get some of that anti-corrode stuff you put on the terminals. Put it on after you clean the area, be careful cz that looks like crystals from the acid inside the battery

·
Registered
157 Posts
You can neutralize that corrosion with some baking soda & warm water solution. I think about a tablespoon of baking soda in a glass of warm water will do it. Use an old toothbrush if you need to. Keep applying the solution until it no longer "fizzes". Get everything all neutralized, and then use some battery terminal anti-corrode stuff like BigRed03 says. That corrosion can eventually get inside your cables, under the insulation, so its good that you caught it when you did.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
that doesn't look like the typical blue copper sulfate residue you'd get from a normal leak.
it looks more like lead sulfate. first time I see it in a car battery though. it might indicate it's about to take a number 2 on you. get it checked.
and yes, baking soda and warm water is enough to remove it.

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
I had that same type of stuff on my battery when I first bought my car. I took the battery off, cleaned it up and brushed the terminals off and it hasn't come back since.

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
Windex works just as good as baking soda and water.

For 99¢ you can purchase a couple of anti-corrosive pads that sit under the terminals at most parts stores. They work some, but over a long time- like 5 years- you'll still get corrosion.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
After you clean it up and put it back together, smear a bit of plain ol' petroleum jelly from the medicine cabinet or other grease over the terminals as a preventative measure. As someone else noted, if you'd like to spend a buck or two, you can buy (1) felt washers that go onto the terminals, under the clamps, (2) stuff in a tube that is basically petroluem jelly with a bit of other stuff that might make it work better than petorleum jelly alone, or (3) some stuff is a spay can you can spay onto the terminals that dries. The last spray on stuff is usually colored red, purple, or some other color, simply to aid in insuring you have gotten complete coverage when you spray it on the terminals.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up buying a new battery, woke up this morning to find the powered crystals turned blue, and battery acid all over the top, washed it with baking soda like you guys suggested and it fizzed like crazy.

I'm glad I found the leak when I did, in my parking lot, not stranded somewhere.

Thanks for all the sugestions.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Even though it appears your problem with the prior battery was a physical defect (leak), now that you have a new battery installed, smear a thin coating of petroleum jelly or grease over the terminals to prevent any minor corrosion over the next few years.... an ounce of prevention.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
pour a can of coke on it and will take care of it. It will fizz it is the chemical reaction after it stops bubbling just clean with water and terminal cleaner and put back together and use some protective substanc either terminal grease or the spray

·
Registered
525 Posts
elliottcarlose said:
pour a can of coke on it and will take care of it. It will fizz it is the chemical reaction after it stops bubbling just clean with water and terminal cleaner and put back together and use some protective substanc either terminal grease or the spray
haha myth busters busted that a long time ago if im not mistaken lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
DomestikZx3 said:
haha myth busters busted that a long time ago if im not mistaken lol
It works, but they proved it makes a bigger mess than its worth. I just use baking soda and water.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
^^Yep, but it seems to clean chrome nicely.

·
Registered
272 Posts
^^I'm not a Chem major but how does adding an acid neutralize an acid?[scratch]
As a few other posts have said, use an old toothbrush, baking soda and water to neutralize the corrosion, clean it thoroughly with a terminal brush cleaner available for about $5 from your local autoparts store, clean and reattach your cables and cover with petroleum jelly, dielectric silicon or terminal spray also available from FOMOCO or your local auto parts. Just be careful that the baking soda solution doesn't get into your battery or you will weaken it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts