Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2012 focus s. When I start it up I get a low battery message on the screen in between the gauges. The guy I got the car from said the battery is less than a year old. I read the voltage from the battery after not driving it for a few days and it was 12.37 volts and I checked it today and its 12.28 so there is something with a slow drain. The car is all stock, just wondering if there was somewhere to start checking for a drain on the battery or how to get the low battery message off the dash? Not sure if it automatically goes off if it gets over a certain voltage or not. It goes off after I start the car so I am assuming it starts getting charged and goes off.

·
FUBARCUS
7,767 Posts
That's my thought too the battery sounds bad. My battery wouldn't hold a charge turned out to be bad. It was only a year old too.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think he lied about it being a year old. It looks pretty new. It is a walmart battery though. I might have advance or autozone put their box on it and see what it says.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problem. I know it's not the battery because if I disconnect it and let it set for a couple of days and reconnect it it starts fine. Something is draining it when the car is off. Best information I've found is that a module is malfunctioning and draining the battery at rest. What exactly is a module? Is it the large plug in units in the fuse blocks? If that's it I'll try my luck at those before I go to the dealer. If I go there some guy is going to sell me a battery and then when I take it in a week later for the same issue, they'll scratch their heads but tell me the battery needed replacing anyway.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This issues sounds similar but less severe that I had before.

The negative cable that goes from the battery to the car body ground, has a current sensor, check to make sure it is not corroded as it might prevent the car from fully turning off and leading to drained battery issues.

In my case it started as drained battery issues and then progressed to the car not shutting off when pulling the key (not related to the recall they issued later for newer model focuses). This would be worse on days it rained, as the oxidized part of the cable was hygroscopic and I think shorted out the current sensor, messing with the BCM, and would go away after several days of drying. Cleaning it did not fix the issue, and only after I replaced it did the problem go away (Apparently, Ford is aware of the shitty design, and has been making newer revisions, the new cable ran me about 110$ or so on ebay, or about 150$ from dealer (But it was faster to get it from ebay...))

Hope this might help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts