Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started experiencing this problem two weeks ago and I'm hoping someone can help. I have a 2002 ZX3 and the radio is the 6006 model.

90% of the time when I start my car the radio "resets". The clock will be working up until I turn the ignition. Then the clock goes blank and the radio turns on and goes to FM1 and number 1 preset and it cycles through the 6 disc CD changer to see if there are any CDs.

I have even tried turning the ignition to on without going all the way to start. The CD player will work fine but then when i start it the problem occurs. This started about 4 weeks ago and then about 2 weeks ago I woke up to find my car wouldn't start. I jumped it and after the battery recharged it worked fine. I've tested the battery and it is good. But now every few days it won't start. I'm not sure if the two are related but I'm thinking they are. The next thing I'm going to try is pulling the fuse for the radio and seeing if the dead battery problem goes away.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I've been having similar symptoms with my 9006 system. Mine probably only happens about 75% of the time, and I really don't think it is a battery issue because it always starts fine. When it happens, everything on my head unit resets, except for the station presets. I loose the time, bass, treble, avc and dsp settings, and the tuner goes to FM1 preset #1. It also searches thru all CD slots to see if any CDs are loaded.

It seems less likely to reset if I turn the radio off before I turn of the car &/or remove the security panel so the radio doesn't come on right when I crank the car.

It doesn't make sense for this to be a fuse issue or a battery issue, but any advice would be greatyly appreciated.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
your main 15amp fuse that supplies constant power to your radio is most likely blown, when you turn the ignition on your radio is running full voltage through switched power the constant power is what saved your presets and stores cd locations is not supplying the voltage

·
Registered
333 Posts
But that doesn't really explain my entire problem... Unless there is one fuse w/constant power for the station presets (which I have yet to lose once) and another one for all the other settings (CD locations, bass, treble, AVC, Clock, & DSP - which I lose quite often). Darn gremlins must have gotten in my H/U...

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
Same issue, my car seems to have a gremlin. I replaced the neg. battery cable, I guess the positive cables are corroded also. I will post after I get it changed tonight and let you know if thats it.

More than likely its a grounding problem.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would appreciate if you could help me out.

I just bought a 2001 Focus Street Edition. It has the 6006 CD changer but wouldn't work because it was missing the security strip that sits just above the loading slot. The screen displayed -:--.

I bought a used security strip on ebay, put it in and Nothing. The play wouldn't work and still displayed -:--.

I checked the fuses and there were all fine. Then, I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes thinking that it may reset the unit.

When I connected the battery, the -:-- went away but the radio still won't work.

1) Those of you that have the same working unit, what does the radio do, display when you take the strip off?

2) Could it be that the strip that I bought is defective?

3) Does ford or whoever makes the radio, program the security strip to work only with one unit?

4) Do I perhaps need a code even though it does not display "code"?

I really don't won't to get an aftermarket because I like the look of the factory.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anybody found a fix for this issue?
I've checked all the fuses and haven't found any bad ones, and the battery seems fine. This is super annoying.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Try another deck in it's place.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I forgot all about this post...

Turns out mine WAS a battery issue. It had enough juice to crank the car, but during starting it was low enough that it pulled all the power from the radio H/U and caused everything to reset. The radio station presets must be in non-volatile memory or for some other reason immune to having power removed from it. The worst part is my car was like this for over a year, long enough for the CD changer to completely wear out from all it's re-searching for discs. I got a new H/U which still had the issues and then soon after discovered it was the battery all along. Have your local autoparts store test it and they will probably tell you it's bad, even if it has enough juice to crank. I think mine was nearly 5 years old when I replaced it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Problem Solved

It was indeed a bad battery, thanks mySVT. The reason I originally stated that the battery seemed good is because I tested it with a multimeter and got a reading of 12.88v; Autozone threw their load tester on it and determined that although it was fully charged (giving me the 12.88 reading), the core was bad. No more annoying cd shuffling and clock resets.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts