Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Mk3 Ford Focus Titanium with a severe battery drain problem, and the Ford dealership can't get me in for a diagnosis for another 3 weeks. It is driving us mad and every time we have to use a jump start pack.

It's a new battery and there are no after market devices fitted. There are no lights etc left on when the car is switched off and the Sync 3 software has been updated.

A FEW DAYS AGO, whilst waiting for an hour for my wife, I sat in the car with everything off and could hear a very low buzzing noise (for the entire time). Using a stick as a stethoscope, I found the noise coming from behind the eject button on the Sync 3 radio/CD. The CD player has never been used.

I've compiled a very short video. If anyone can tell me what this is and whether it would be causing the battery drain, I would be really grateful. I have amplified the sound in the video

Many thanks

Paul

· Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2015 Titanium, mine would die in drive thrus and while driving down the road at times. This happened with a fairly new battery. And if the car sat for more than a couple of days I had to jump it off.
Long story short, it was one of the “mega” fuses on the front of the battery box. Changed two of them just in case. They’re cheap.
Search the Focus ST forums for this info. That’s where I found it my problem. Pretty easy fix IF that’s what is going on with yours. Just a suggestion cause it’s easy

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that Chris - I shall have a look there. Every morning, we have to go through the jump pack procedure to get it going. When I tried to get it into Ford, I was told that it was going to be 8 weeks before I diagnostic technician could have a look at it. It is only 3 weeks to wait now but if I can fix it in the meantime, I can imagine that I would be saving a lot of money.

Again, many thanks. I do appreciate your reply

Paul

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are several fuses that may affect the radio, etc. this video shows their location, also there's several ways to reset the radio, google it, BTW draining battery too low can confuse the BMS (battery monitoring system, google search also), it appears that CD unit is trying to run? Good luck

(115) Ford Focus - RADIO FUSES LOCATION (2011 - 2018) - YouTube
Thanks for that zrx - I'd only checked 79. I will try the others tomorrow. It certainly does seem that the CD player is trying to run. Many thanks again. Paul

· Registered
19,091 Posts
By pop the fuse out I meant leave it out like overnight, simply putting it back in instantly after looking at it may power the source to run battery down again.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By pop the fuse out I meant leave it out like overnight, simply putting it back in instantly after looking at it may power the source to run battery down again.
Many thanks for that amc49 and I will do that. I did put a cd in yesterday and eject it a couple of times; switched the car off - and waited. After about 10 minutes, the cd player tried to eject (but there was no disc in it) and then the noise stopped. Whether that will resolve the problem I don't know but since then, I've not been able to get into the car with the keyless entry, only using the key fob and earlier, whilst we sat in the car with nothing on and no power, the radio was working - and it doesn't normally with everything switched off. I was alright when it was plugs, points and even a starting handle!!

· Registered
115 Posts
Charging is monitored from current sensor on negative battery cable. Make sure wires and connections are in good condition and working properly, ie. check battery voltage with car running. Positive terminal to jumping lug on left strut tower is probably the easiest.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Charging is monitored from current sensor on negative battery cable. Make sure wires and connections are in good condition and working properly, ie. check battery voltage with car running. Positive terminal to jumping lug on left strut tower is probably the easiest.
Many thanks for that Mark. The voltage does seem fine with the engine running and the positive terminal is tight. I don't know about the negative as it is hidden (why?) but the battery is only a few weeks old and the AA man who checked the previous one, the day before, found that the fittings and voltage etc was fine - once you got the engine running.

Again, many thanks. I do appreciate all of the comments I have had, including your own.

Kindest regards

Paul

1 - 11 of 11 Posts