Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16' Focus ST
148 Posts
If the battery is disconnected for servicing, does this reset the Oil Reminder back to 100% ?
Don't trust the reminder anyway. The intervals are waayyyy too long.
To reset it the OE way
Press button without clutch in, hold gas and brake until it says oil service life monitor reset. Then let go.
Usually takes 20ish seconds

Reactions: zacautomotive

·
Registered
95 Posts
My reminder came up last week.

Checked my Amazon orders to see when was the last time I ordered oil for my Focus....turns out it was a year ago. Way too long for the indicator to come on IMO.

Oil was black and thick when I changed it.

Reactions: pbfoot

·
Registered
2012 Focus SE hatchback black
563 Posts
For a car that you prize then 10k miles might be on the long side. I totally get it and believe that as well.
Though, in all practicality if you use full synthetic then 10k is actually acceptable. My Focus is a daily driver work vehicle for the most part but it's not my baby. My 2014 GT is and for that 10k wouldn't be ok to me.
In my Focus I'm at 7k now and my oil is still translucent. Mine only starts getting dark when it's near 10k so the manufacturer's recommendation is actually pretty spot on assuming that you don't use conventional oil.
Also, depending on how much or little you drive a year can mean nothing. My GT only has 8k on it but it's 7 1/2 years old. I haven't changed the oil 7 times. For example, if you only drive like 3k miles a year you could go 3 years before changing your oil. Time itself for motor oil has no effect. Oil isn't hydroscopic, it doesn't spoil(crude was in the ground for millions of years and it's still here and stable just as motor oil is stable), and it doesn't loose lubricity from nonuse.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Pure nonsense. Even the best motor oils on the planet recommend changing the oil at least once a year. So does every car manufacturer.

"Acid Number (AN) is an indicator of oil serviceability. It is useful in monitoring acid buildup in oils due to depletion of antioxidants. Oil oxidation causes acidic byproducts to form. High acid levels can indicate excessive oil oxidation or depletion of the oil additives and can lead to corrosion of the internal components. By monitoring the acid level, the oil can be changed before any damage occurs."

"Passenger car and diesel engine oils typically exhibit increases in acidity with service, particularly at extended oil drain intervals. The amount of acidity buildup is related to the extent of lubricant oxidation and the extent to which overbased additives are able to neutralize the acidic materials formed."

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
563 Posts
Pure nonsense. Even the best motor oils on the planet recommend changing the oil at least once a year. So does every car manufacturer.

"Acid Number (AN) is an indicator of oil serviceability. It is useful in monitoring acid buildup in oils due to depletion of antioxidants. Oil oxidation causes acidic byproducts to form. High acid levels can indicate excessive oil oxidation or depletion of the oil additives and can lead to corrosion of the internal components. By monitoring the acid level, the oil can be changed before any damage occurs."

"Passenger car and diesel engine oils typically exhibit increases in acidity with service, particularly at extended oil drain intervals. The amount of acidity buildup is related to the extent of lubricant oxidation and the extent to which overbased additives are able to neutralize the acidic materials formed."

I hate to break it to you but what you just said about my completely accurate post before yours is pure nonsense and the simple proof is even in your own post: "typically exhibit increases in acidity with service". Key words are "WITH SERVICE" as in use by breaking down the oil with heat, contaminants from the gasoline and metal, and aeration of oxygen into it as it being moved(aerated) thru the engine. Just sitting there it doesn't breakdown or increase acidity at least not to any significant amount. Provide test proof if you think that you are somehow right here. You can't because it doesn't exist. Please read your own information more carefully if you want to attempt to rebut someone.
Also, of course every oil manufacturer recommends that you change your oil at a minimum time interval even if not used. You then but more of their product. This is also a holdover from when people wouldn't be reminded that their oil is due to be changed and forget to do it. If you change it at least once a year no matter how many miles have been logged then it at least doesn't get permanently forgotten or ignored. However, that's definitely not science. That's a human nature issue.
From a little farther down in your testoil.com link: "As antioxidants are consumed during use, generated acids will not be neutralized and will start to increase in concentration." Key words are "CONSUMED DURING USE".
Funny how you forgot to include that...
What's pure nonsense is you not doing your due diligence in reading comprehension. I'm just going to assume that you overlooked those two key phrases because of the fallacy of 'oil going bad by sitting unused' sentiment that has been alluded to by the corporations for generations.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I hate to break it to you but what you just said about my completely accurate post before yours is pure nonsense and the simple proof is even in your own post: "typically exhibit increases in acidity with service". Key words are "WITH SERVICE" as in use by breaking down the oil with heat, contaminants from the gasoline and metal, and aeration of oxygen into it as it being moved(aerated) thru the engine. Just sitting there it doesn't breakdown or increase acidity at least not to any significant amount. Provide test proof if you think that you are somehow right here. You can't because it doesn't exist. Please read your own information more carefully if you want to attempt to rebut someone.
Also, of course every oil manufacturer recommends that you change your oil at a minimum time interval even if not used. You then but more of their product. This is also a holdover from when people wouldn't be reminded that their oil is due to be changed and forget to do it. If you change it at least once a year no matter how many miles have been logged then it at least doesn't get permanently forgotten or ignored. However, that's definitely not science. That's a human nature issue.
From a little farther down in your testoil.com link: "As antioxidants are consumed during use, generated acids will not be neutralized and will start to increase in concentration." Key words are "CONSUMED DURING USE".
Funny how you forgot to include that...
What's pure nonsense is you not doing your due diligence in reading comprehension. I'm just going to assume that you overlooked those two key phrases because of the fallacy of 'oil going bad by sitting unused' sentiment that has been alluded to by the corporations for generations.
As soon as the oil goes in the engine it is contaminated you have leftover oil in the engine that is a fact, I believe we can all agree on that. The moment you drive the car it is contaminated with fuel dilution, and other contaminants. The additives that help prevent the oil from turning to acid immediately go to work.

One of the absolute worst things you can do to engine oil is very low mileage short trip driving. Remember your post about oil additives I'm still waiting on that one. You could take a 3-year oil sample out of your car, and send it in for testing not expensive at all.

We will just have to disagree. I would never allow 3-year-old oil in my car, and I would never encourage anyone to do so.

·
Registered
563 Posts
As soon as the oil goes in the engine it is contaminated you have leftover oil in the engine that is a fact, I believe we can all agree on that. The moment you drive the car it is contaminated with fuel dilution, and other contaminants. The additives that help prevent the oil from turning to acid immediately go to work.
That's completely irrelevant to the subject here and kind of pathetic for you to be so desperate to even try to use that. An engine has used oil in it as soon as its broken in. The subject is how used it is and the fact that it's not bad for your engine if it's simply old. It doesn't get more acidic and harmful because it doesn't spoil like food. We're not talking about a paltry amount of leftover old oil being an issue. We're talking about the quarts of relatively unused old oil being harmless.
You called my post about old oil pure nonsense but I still have yet to hear you point out what exactly is nonsense about it. You gave two quotes about non applicable info regarding higher mileage ENGINE WORN OIL and not lower mileage oil that sits in an engine idle and still relatively unused and has plenty of service life left like I was talking about SPECIFICALLY.
Give some science facts if it's pure nonsense like you say. It should be quite easy to find with the ease of an internet search. However, since it doesn't exist you cannot. I clearly pointed out that you are wrong about the fallacy of older oil and you have provided nothing to state otherwise other than "they say to do it once a year". Ok, give me the proven science since you like talking about testing oil. Show me a link with the results of low mileage oil going bad/spoiling just due to age if you think that you are right. If you want to call me so wrong about it then show how without unsubstantiated opinions. Either put up or bottle up.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I'm not going to waste my time arguing with somebody who seems to have a serious problem when someone disagrees with them. I believe you are wrong, and I believe you mistreat your car.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Good, don't waste my time having to smack you down when you call my post "pure nonsense" without even so much as a shred of verifiable proof, scientific backing, or test result. If you believe I mistreat my car then you should have backed it up with science or some sort of testing to prove me wrong but you know that you can't so backing down is your easy way out. Go talk to the car manufacturers that specify even longer oil change intervals than 12k miles. I'm sure that you know more than their engineers do. You seem to live in a world from decades ago before modern advancements and as such you have no idea.
Maybe if you hadn't started off responding to my post like that I wouldn't have been annoyed with you. There's a way to word things on these forums so not as to offend others and remain respectable. You apparently don't know how. Check yourself next time.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Good, don't waste my time having to smack you down when you call my post "pure nonsense" without even so much as a shred of verifiable proof, scientific backing, or test result. If you believe I mistreat my car then you should have backed it up with science or some sort of testing to prove me wrong but you know that you can't so backing down is your easy way out. Go talk to the car manufacturers that specify even longer oil change intervals than 12k miles. I'm sure that you know more than their engineers do. You seem to live in a world from decades ago before modern advancements and as such you have no idea.
Maybe if you hadn't started off responding to my post like that I wouldn't have been annoyed with you. There's a way to word things on these forums so not as to offend others and remain respectable. You apparently don't know how. Check yourself next time.
Much younger than you that I promise. Been working on cars since I was 14, I went to school for it as well. Took a automotive program around high School age, and then after the military went to technical school. Seven semesters full time to get all the classes I needed, and actually I do know quite a few engineers.
I don't own a single vehicle that recommends 12,000 mile oil changes. Also maybe you have not read the severe operating conditions part of the owner's manual which actually most vehicles fall under. One of those severe operating conditions that manufacturers talk about is repeated short trip driving. Also why would you mention what a manufacturer suggest, because manufacturers recommend at least a once a year oil change.

I don't care if I offend you, you post overly generic information for cars that you have not worked on, or owned. You love to tell everybody why something cannot be done with an explanation as long as an essay.

I'm still waiting for my reply about how generic oils don't have any additives in them. That is what you said and then you changed it well they have the minimum requirement. I provided you with videos that have the oil testing in them from an oil testing lab.

Now I'm not going to say things like you are pathetic, desperate, smack you down, because I don't speak to people that way. I disagree with you all day on this subject not my job to provide proof, I can disagree with anything you don't have to like it.

Update I'm adding a picture of the severe usage conditions of the owner's manual on one of the vehicles I own. As you can see short trips, excessive idling and frequent stop and go traffic are all considered severe operating conditions.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I don't care what you say your background is. Even if any of it is true very little knowledge seems to have soaked in.
It doesn't matter what you think or what car you own. When using full synthetic as recommended all Jaguars have 15k mile oil change recommendations. That comes from from the JAGUAR ENGINEERS, not some random guy on a Focus forum that spouts off beliefs and opinions. Also, just about every Toyota has 10k mile intervals. Many GM vehicles have 12k mile intervals as well. My 2012 Focus has a 10k mile recommendation with synthetic of course. Google it. It's out there zaccy boy.
Most vehicles don't fall under "severe" operating conditions unless you live in the extreme heat(southern border states), cold(northern Canada or Alaska), or high demand conditions(mountainous areas, offroad use, towing, etc). Try again. Most drivers live in the suburbs and these conditions don't apply for most of the populace. Most people unless they're old retirees or disabled don't do most of their driving in short trips. Just because you don't put a lot of miles on a particular vehicle doesn't mean it's a short trip vehicle.
Is this opposite day for you or something? I post the specific information with facts that can be searched for and verified. You post generic beliefs and opinions with NO SCIENCE and NO FACTS to back them up and you just said "not my job to provide proof" to cap it all off. You don't have to like that you're wrong much of the time but I'll point it out for you and everyone else to see.
I haven't changed anything as I said they may have some additives in them. I didn't bother to watch your little video links.
Speaking of waiting for a reply. Where's your verification about your claim that oil sitting idle and relatively unused is bad for your car? You called my post "pure nonsense". Well, show it. What's that? You can't because no such evidence exists? That = you are wrong.
Yeah, you just like to say someone's post is pure nonsense but you don't talk disrespectfully. Right... only in your mind. That's what started all this you know. If you had responded, with your totally unscientific opinion, in a way that wasn't dismissive and insulting then I wouldn't have come back at you so hard but you did insult me and so here we are.
You don't have to like my "essays" either. I just like to be thorough.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
You are funny.

"Even if any of it is true" So you are calling me a liar classy.

The fact that you think the word (pure nonsense)
is disrespectful and insulting is ridiculous.

Why do you keep mentioning what manufacturers recommend when they also mention oil changes based on time.

Update
Sure does seem based on this owner's manual that a lot of people fall under severe operating conditions.

Also it appears the majority of car owners fall under severe operating conditions.

“According to a previous survey done by a member company of the Filter Manufacturers Council, history has shown only about 20 percent of vehicles are regularly driven under ‘normal’ conditions,” the bulletin reads. “That means four out of five drivers are in the ‘severe’ driving category.”

·
Registered
563 Posts
You are not funny.
"pure nonsense" to my above post. So you are calling me a liar.

The words pure nonsense was out of line, dismissive, and disrespectful and totally without warrant as I was very well researched on the subject before I even thought about posting. I think it's ridiculous that you don't think that pure nonsense line was. I would never start out a post like that to anyone unless they were picking a fight. This clues me that you don't care about insulting people at all and I don't like people that do that especially to me.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I disagree an in, I believe you are wrong on this subject.
But I am not calling you a liar based on your life experiences, I don't do that to anyone.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Why do you keep mentioning what manufacturers recommend when they also mention oil changes based on time.
I've already explained this very outdated but still-thought-to-be-necessary-practice above and I'm not doing it again. You skipped over it or conveniently ignored it. Go back and look. Post #7. There has never been a chemical engineering explanation in history for it ever by a chemical engineer or an accredited scientist. No where and no place will you find one.

By calling my scientifically referenced post pure nonsense you call me a liar. Please understand that.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yall sound stupid arguing over the internet.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts