Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. So my car wouldn't start today and it seemed to be a battery issue so I went to take the battery out and take it to advanced auto parts.
Upon taking the cover off it looked like the negative terminal, clamp, and sensor had moss growing on them there was so much crossion built up. The acid has eaten through the sensor on the negative terminal and it is now fallen off the terminal base.
I have included a link to an incur album with the affected parts. I was wondering if any one could tell me what the parts/part numbers are. It looks like I'll need to replace the Orange piece, the sensor, and the connector that plugs into the sensor.
Focus Battery Problem - Album on Imgur

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Hey all. So my car wouldn't start today and it seemed to be a battery issue so I went to take the battery out and take it to advanced auto parts.
Upon taking the cover off it looked like the negative terminal, clamp, and sensor had moss growing on them there was so much crossion built up. The acid has eaten through the sensor on the negative terminal and it is now fallen off the terminal base.
I have included a link to an incur album with the affected parts. I was wondering if any one could tell me what the parts/part numbers are. It looks like I'll need to replace the Orange piece, the sensor, and the connector that plugs into the sensor.
Focus Battery Problem - Album on Imgur
Generally, if the corrosion is occurring on the negative terminal, your system is probably undercharging. If on the positive side, it is probably overcharging. Most often it will be seen on the negative side because the battery is usually in an undercharged situation. This is just the nature of the beast, I'm afraid.

Don't forget that!

Might check the charging system (or use the car more frequently/ or some charger love?)...

My 2012 have 0 corrosion on either terminal (but I do plug my battery when I don't use the car for 1-2 weeks or more)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi DersFace,
Wondering what you did with your battery sensor/terminal. Mine did the same thing. The battery acid corroded the sensor and melted the connector and wires. I cleaned the terminals... but the sensor connectors need to be replaced. Any advice is much appreciated!

Thank you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Motorcraft Pigtail Catalogue
2 cavity connector
Sensor - Battery Current

WPT-1396
DU2Z-14S411-AZA
$14.00

I had this happened on my 2013 2 liter AWD Escape Titanium. I replaced my negative cable "Battery Management System" (AV6Z10C679M) sensor was destroyed and male connector was melted!
No Ford dealer parts men could identify it!! Said it is part of the wiring harness!!
I found this on my own after hours of searching!!!
This works on all late model Fords!

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
Greeeeat. I've been putting off cleaning up my terminals due to probably needing a battery soon. This is not good news...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am sure your negative cable was loose!! just like mine was!
this caused all the corrosion and damage! AND UNDERCHARGING BATTERY
make sure you replace the negative cable with sensor attached ford item only!!
$41.00 AVZ6Z10C679M
2 cavity connector male sensor battery current $13.59
WPT-1396
DU2Z-14S411-AZA
new motorcraft battery 590 cca $119.00

·
Registered
1 Posts
Negative battery terminal connector broken. No power to car

I have had the same issue with my battery and now my car has no power what so ever. No lights come on when I open the door and I can't even lock the doors. I could really use some help. I have appreciated the past post but I was wondering where I could get the connector to the negative terminal.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
The ENTIRE main negative cable is quite short, it only goes to a ground visible near the LF strut tower. If your main terminal is significantly damaged, replace the whole assy.

DO clean the contact area at the body to bare metal when replacing, if not done already. From the Factory the only connection there is through the mounting bolt as it cuts through the factory PAINT. (then grease connection after assembly)

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm big on pulling the battery/clean terminals every once in awhile. I also attend to the battery terminals using the round felt, or red paste/spray anti corrosion battery connector goo. It keeps corrosion at bay on the terminals.

If you can keep the the corrosion from starting, that helps a lot. It is hard to resurrect corroded connections. I'm big On dielectric grease on cars, and boats as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same issue and am collecting the cables to replace the sensor cable and the pigtail - what happened next?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I replaced the lead with this:

I am waiting on one of these to come in so that I can splice it in:

The car is running without the battery current sensor connected to the lead.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts