Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
i was wrong. after more run time today it peaked at 14.5 volts 110 amps. i definately can see the smart charging working seems to charge more going down hills or when you lift off the gas pedal
This is correct and normal.

If you "going down hills or when you lift off the gas pedal" the charging voltage goes up to 15.0 Volts.

In lead-acid's batteries (no Smart Charge System), the charging voltage remains continuously at 14.4 volts.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Hmmm,battery died a few months ago with zero warning right in front of a Taco Bell,got a jump start,drove to the parts store and installed a new one and no issues at all but I'll ask Ford when it gets it's next oil change.

·
Registered
203 Posts
BMS Basic eduaction required

The program is FORSCAN. I downloaded it this morning. Search the forum and you should see links for it.

Then you need a OBD2 to USB cable to run it off your laptop. I just ordered this:

https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-sx/?gclid=CjwKEAjwse7JBRCJ576SqoD7lCkSJABF-bKuVIOhfqznXNYn3-fxobEI1iUurSbxepIpuDrNBBPl4hoCJR7w_wcB
Folks,
I’m considering changing the battery. So, help, guidance on the following would be appreciated:
FORSCAN – Will this reset the BMS on a 2015 Focus?
I have a laptop with Windows 7. What is the cost of the FORSCAN software?
And I also need this tool? - OBDLink SX Scan Tool. Do I need any of their add on software, I’m assuming the FORSCAN means nothing additional needed?

https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-sx/?gclid=CjwKEAjwse7JBRCJ576SqoD7lCkSJABF-bKuVIOhfqznXNYn3-fxobEI1iUurSbxepIpuDrNBBPl4hoCJR7w_wcB

What else is required….apart from a battery……ok…...got that.

Thanks!

·
Registered
409 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well I'm glad I read this thread. Never knew what a "BMS" was before. My battery threw a low battery light one day when I had the key on engine off, which I thought was weird. I noticed on Wednesday when I was coming home from work, my HVAC controls completely turned off then turned back on about a minute after I left the parking lot. Then the next morning the car was dead, and I needed another jump when I was leaving work that afternoon. Got the battery replaced yesterday, but had no idea about this "Battery Monitor System" that needed reset.

Gonna get that software downloaded and OBD cable purchased so I can take care of that. I'll look after I post this, but is there a stickied thread about what can be done with FORScan? Anything cool? lol...

Thanks, y'all.

·
Registered
120 Posts
don't know about anyone else but my local dealer wants to charges $70 just to reset the stupid BMS. they won't do anything without charging you $70 for diagnostics first i told them to stick it lol

·
Registered
120 Posts
just wanted to say i got a cable and reset the bms my 12 focus se is now working like it should be. no more low battery messages no more 1hr radio mode cut off in 2 minutes of being on. everything is as it should be now thanks all for the info and tips.

and for any one needing a cable. this is the one i got. all you really need to look for is one that can do the CAN HS, MS CAN.

this cable works with windows 10.

ebay link. just note this guy marked mine as shipped when he did not even have it. but it gives you an idea of what cable to use. he did ship it to me once he got it but it was a week later.
it dont have to say ford on the lable i just wanted the one that said ford lol.
but it needs to be an ELM327 with HS/MS CAN support

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ELM327-USB-Cable-HS-MS-CAN-Switch-FT232RL-PIC18F2580-ELMconfig-500K-Baud/282669811419?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

-----
The ELM327 USB with a modified HS MS CAN Switch, using the FTDI FT232RL USB/Serial Chip and the Microchip PIC18F2580 Mico-controller is an OBDII interface designed for the ELMconfig, FORScan, FoCCCus, FF2 software for Ford and Mazda vehicles. With the modified switch, you can access the Ford proprietary networks like HS CAN and MS CAN. It also supports all modern Ford vehicles including models that require high data refresh rates of 500K Baud.

Features:

Modified ELM327 USB OBD2 Scanner with an HS and MS CAN Switch
Uses a high quality and reliable Genuine FTDI FT232RL USB/RS232 Serial Converter Chipset
Genuine Microchip PIC18F2580 Micro-controller
Speed can be set at a constant 500K Baud Rate
Fully compatible with ELMconfig and FORScan software for Ford, Mazda, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles
A must have for Ford owners; This interface allows you to diagnose Ford Group vehicles
Allows you to access Ford proprietary networks such as HS and MS CAN
Compatible with Windows XP 7 8 8.1 10 (32/64 bit)
This ELM327 Scanner also works as a normal OBD2 code reader with other diagnostic software
Supported Protocols:

- ISO15765-4 (CAN)
- ISO14230-4
- ISO9141-2
- J1850 VPW (GM vehicles)
- J1850 PWM (Ford vehicles)
- FORD CAN HS, MS CAN FORD FORD 9141

Functions:

Access Modules on both HS-CAN and MS-CAN
Read vehicle configuration
actuator tests
Injector Coding
Force DPF regeneration
Programming
Coding
Adaptations
Read diagnostic trouble codes, both generic and manufacturer-specific, and display their meaning
Clear trouble codes and turn off the MIL ("Check Engine" light)
Display current sensor data, including
Engine RPM
Calculated Load Value
Coolant Temperature
Fuel System Status
Vehicle Speed
Short Term Fuel Trim
Long Term Fuel Trim
Intake Manifold Pressure
Timing Advance
Intake Air Temperature
Air Flow Rate
Absolute Throttle Position
Oxygen sensor voltages/associated short term fuel trims
Fuel System status
Fuel Pressure
And More
Supported modules:
GEM IPC DDM PDM RDDM RPDM AHCM PAM ACU SRM KVM IPMA SODL SODR
BCM TCM PCM ABS HEC EHPAS CCM PSCM HCM RCM SASM FACM
ACM SRM SDDJ

Supported software:

ELMconfig
FORScan
FoCCus
FF2
Other Car Diagnostic Software for ELM327 Scanners

·
Registered
75 Posts
Nothing new to add to the helpful information that's already been posted, but I just wanted to mention that I replaced my battery about a week or so ago and after buying the ScanTool OBDII/USB cable and downloading FORScan, I was able to reset my BMS in less than a minute.

It couldn't have been easier, so thank you everyone for sharing your tips and knowledge.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Nothing new to add to the helpful information that's already been posted, but I just wanted to mention that I replaced my battery about a week or so ago and after buying the ScanTool OBDII/USB cable and downloading FORScan, I was able to reset my BMS in less than a minute.

It couldn't have been easier, so thank you everyone for sharing your tips and knowledge.
Interesting stuff..so...is your 2014 deemed to be the MK3.5 model? We may need others to chime in. The reason I ask is I've seen threads stating that the Forscan product is incompatible with the 2015 model MK3.5.
But, if your2014 is the MK3.5 then I'll go ahead and buy what you have and reset the BMS on my 2015.
Thanks

·
Registered
602 Posts
Interesting stuff..so...is your 2014 deemed to be the MK3.5 model? We may need others to chime in. The reason I ask is I've seen threads stating that the Forscan product is incompatible with the 2015 model MK3.5.
But, if your2014 is the MK3.5 then I'll go ahead and buy what you have and reset the BMS on my 2015.
Thanks
2014 is not a mk3.5

2015+ is mk3.5

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks
Ductape91 is correct: mine is not a 3.5.

Regarding FORScan's compatibility with your car, I see mention of Focus models through 2017 in their update lists, so I would think your car should certainly work with FORScan. The FORScan program is free, and the ScanTool cable is cheap and handy enough that I would buy it anyways, because surely it could be used for something some time down the road.

Hopefully someone more "in the know" than myself chimes in soon to help you get a solution, but at least from what I read on their site, FORScan should work with your car.

·
Registered
79 Posts
So. Stupid question, how can I tell if my focus has the BMS and smart charging system that needs to be reset? Is there something I should be looking for like a sensor somewhere or is a different type of battery than a standard led acid battery? I've got 2 Foci (13' & 14') both will need batteries before the heat of the summer. Thanks for any assistance!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ductape91 is correct: mine is not a 3.5.

Regarding FORScan's compatibility with your car, I see mention of Focus models through 2017 in their update lists, so I would think your car should certainly work with FORScan. The FORScan program is free, and the ScanTool cable is cheap and handy enough that I would buy it anyways, because surely it could be used for something some time down the road.

Hopefully someone more "in the know" than myself chimes in soon to help you get a solution, but at least from what I read on their site, FORScan should work with your car.
OK folks thanks for the update.
QC Goose....can you post the link as to which ScanTool you purchased?

Thanks

21 - 40 of 105 Posts