Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new 2014 Focus SE two months ago. One odd thing I noticed is that there's a cover over the front part of the battery box but the rear half of the battery isn't covered. I wondered why. I did some Googling and found that a rear cover exists, but I didn't find any reason why my car wouldn't have one. I asked a salesman at the dealer, he had no idea, so we went to look at another car on the lot. It also had no rear cover, though the front cover was just lying loose in the engine compartment, uninstalled.

1. Did Ford decide to delete the rear cover from my car for some engineering/economic reason?
2. Did someone (dealer, etc.) remove the cover for some operation and forgot to reinstall it?
3. Should I worry about the rear part of my battery going "nekkid"? I can see that the front section should be covered to protect the positive terminal from accidents, but maybe the rear part doesn't matter. Maybe it'll cool better that way.

Also: I've looked up the part online with several vendors and I notice that the online catalog seems to have the names reversed. The "rear" cover I'm talking about is smaller, with a socket to receive a tab from the front cover, and is installed toward the rear of the engine compartment. The illustrations in the online catalogs call it the front cover.

Does anyone have any insights?

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
1. Did Ford decide to delete the rear cover from my car for some engineering/economic reason?
No, but your dealer may have "deleted" it when they removed it to jump start your brand new car and they never replaced it. You would be surprised how many batteries run down on new cars that sit in dealer inventory on car lots.

When I bought my 2013 SE Hatchback brand new, the battery cover wasn't missing but it was loose and bouncing around inside the engine bay because the make ready guys forgot to replace it.

SSM 44481 - 2014 Focus the elimination of 12 volt battery cover
Beginning 2/18/2014 the 2014 Focus will no longer be equipped with a top cover over the rear of the 12 volt battery. Please make your new car pre-delivery departments aware of this change.
Then buy one.

I labeled the drawing with the part numbers:

Attachments

·
Registered
527 Posts
My 2014 built in July 2014 has a full cover. :)
huh.... mine was also built in July 2014 (ordered mine) and i'm not sure if i have the (4) Front part. I was wondering the same thing... thinking that the rear of the battery was kinda exposed (ground terminal side).

·
Registered
5 Posts
SSM 44481 - 2014 Focus the elimination of 12 volt battery cover
Beginning 2/18/2014 the 2014 Focus will no longer be equipped with a top cover over the rear of the 12 volt battery. Please make your new car pre-delivery departments aware of this change.

·
Registered
11 Posts
New member here. I just recently got a 2014 Titanium Hatchback and I noticed the same thing, missing the rear battery cover. My other half's 2013 Sedan has the full cover. Seems to be an odd thing for them to leave off. The front part of the cover that I do have isn't held on very steady, it's just kind of sitting there. Any idea how much these things go for, and where I can get one? Seems trivial, but I don't like having it just sit there, flopping around.

·
Registered
527 Posts
COVER ASY - BATTERY
Part #: AM5Z10A659A
Pack Qty: 1

Price
(MSRP/List): $4.93

Subtotal: $3.94 (at a Ford near me)

I may get 1 just to have 1, but I guess you don't need it if they don't come with them anymore.

Thanks for the info, FordMasterTech!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks! Yea, I might get one just to have it. I know not a safety issue or anything, just makes it seem cheap(er).

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
I had noticed the same thing missing on my ST. Based on FordMasterTech's note, mine was built after that date, so it would make sense that its missing.

·
Registered
17,165 Posts
Man, if I had one, those covers would probably be removed permanently in the first month of ownership.............

·
Registered
368 Posts
I didn't even know there was supposed to be a battery cover on the used 2013 Focus I bought until I found two pieces of plastic in the spare tire area. The only way I knew they were a battery cover was when I read the raised lettering on the front cover.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Mine has been ill-fitting since day 1. I've re-fit it 4 times and it continues to work loose and fall toward the firewall. Yours probably got tossed in the trash by a disgusted tech.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I labeled the front and rear covers along with the part numbers:
Thanks for posting the image. I've seen it on several sites offering the part for sale.

The drawings of the parts and their labels are reversed. My "front" cover has the number "AM51-10A659-CA molded into it -- I assume that's the AM5Z10A659A in the drawing labeled "4," but my part looks like the drawing labeled "5." Apparently if I wanted to buy a "rear" cover I'd need CV6Z10A659A, i.e., go by the labels and not by the drawings.

However, I think I'll pass on buying the part. If Ford, in its wisdom, has decided that it isn't needed, I think I can go along with that.

Thanks to the group for helping clear this up for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts