Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so here is the problem. Everything was going fine with my car. I didnt notice any problems, and the minor problem I did have...I fixed [trac/abs sensor]

One day I was driving home and my battery light came on. wtf? So as im getting closer to home my car would surge for a second. only for a second and be normal...

getting on my street my car would surge more and more if I gave it gas. I pull it into the garage and it almost stalled out.

I immediately start looking around. I noticed the POWER wire that goes onto the "tower" of the alternator had fallen off. The terminal on the wire actually broke.

I cut that wire and solder it with some 4 gauge power wire. Gave it a new terminal and reconnected it. I thought that would solve my problems...nope.

My car would start after I charged it with the battery charger. I would drive it, then the dash lights would go out and my car would die. I could give it gas as it was dieing and it would just go brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr and get a lower and lower tone.

Im like shit! So i got 2 different jumps from people and the car wouldnt make it more than 2-3 blocks. I go any buy a brand new battery [40R 590CCA] and I was able to drive the car home...HOWEVER the battery light is still on.

So that just makes me think that the battery being brand new is keeping my car alive for that short 2 mile trip home.

Can anyone help me figure out what the heck is wrong with my car? I start college tuesday, so if its the alternator, ill pull that bitch and get a free replacement from autozone [i replaced it 2 mo's ago]

and one more thing, I would just ike to say thank you to everyone on focusfanatics for always being so nice and helping me thru all this BS.[ffrocks]

·
Registered
634 Posts
are you getting 12.5volts to the alternator? your fix might have not of worked...might end up having to replace the entire pos/neg battery cables...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hope this can help you...

I had the same problem once and found a very loose wire on the three(3) wire connector to the alternator. You can't see it 'cause it's right behind the alternator. Once I pulled the rubber connector, I noticed the middle wire was hanging by a thread and this is what was causing the battery light to come ON and OFF. The Connector costs approx $14 cdn at the Dealer and it comes pre-assembled with the wires but watch out...they are all BLACK so make sure you reconnect them in the right sequence when you splice them.
It's a bitch to remove the alternator if that is your problem. Most dealers loosen the motor bracket on the passenger side and lift the engine slightly to remove the alternator . Good luck

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it wasnt the battery cables. It was just the wire that goes to the alternator. im in the process of ripping my alternator out right now and taking that bitch to autozone

1 - 10 of 10 Posts