Focus Fanatics Forum banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Long story short we had an off in the snow at Pacific forest rally and totalled the first build, It started 21 legit stage rallys, so I can't complain. The cage is legit, fia certified and weighs 105 there is no better option in my opinion. More motor in the sense of higher compression and stage 3 vs stock compression and stage 2 cams. We will keep the first motor as a spare. The 4.75 issue has been resolved one of our local rally friends had a machine shop water jet out new washers out of hardened steel instead of the junk M factory was supplying. Car will be significantly lighter due to the chromoly cage, and lexan windows, plus fixed aluminum calipers, and few other upgrades, You can run the 4.75 with a broken and or missing washer you just cant downshift to first while moving, but if the broken bits are in the fluids its going to quickly take out the rest of the tranny.
Awesome info-thanks!

Oh sorry to hear about your total but glad about the 21 starts-that's a lot.

Hopefully the dnf's were minimal too-but in rally,of course expected.

Thanks for the info on the cage.

I'm familiar with custom cages,but haven't been on their website for a while.

Above link shows only steel choices of CDS or T45.

But their other materials are shown here:

You mention Chromoly-did you go with the 25CrMo4?

I need to study up on the metals...

Concerning the higher compression and bigger cams-got it.
Would love to see what a full built 2.5 NA can put out.

Glad to see you have the fd washer situation handled-but it sounds like you are still sticking with a 4.06 on this build over the 4.75 anyway?

I should have picked up more of those NIB Ford racing 4.06's when I had the chance when they were like $138.00
I only bought one.

I may go 4.75 on one or both(eventually)of my duratec Foci-any chance you(or the machine shop guy) could sell me a couple of those washers?
Sure sounds like cheap insurance!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
If there was a 4.40 to 4.50 final drive with the m factory 3,4,5 it would be the bee's knees. Its like goldilocks you know. I would lean to the 4.06 and the m factory 3,4,5, really zero chance of failure and it tops out a 110 at 7200 rpm in 5th. So you are giving up a little acceleration, but I think with the more motor we have going into this season it should help close the gap. With our 190 whp 2.5 we consistently topped out at 96-97 mph on the longer stretches of stage, it just wouldn't pull any more. We have been sporadically looking into different final drives in U.k. fords, we found the pinion shaft for a 4.25 but can't source the ring gear. They are definitely out there but a bit of gamble to buy a whole mtx75 and have it shipped and strike out. Yes the cage is T45 and light, I honestly think I may have to add 50 or so pounds of ballast. its 1297 on complete suspension, with a stripped shell. and the cage installed. as you know the dtecs are 50 pounds lighter than a ztec.. Yes the 4.06 are like gold. I have 2 ford racing ones, and a cougar one that is the early version with a loose pinion gear. They pop up, my buddy just grabbed one for $400

·
Registered
203 Posts
Oh,I meant to show you this- as I stumbled upon it the other day.

Not any cheaper than mfactory,and it's still a 4.75,but at least it's not quaife pricing.

Honestly have never heard of this UK company,and don't know if they are making it or if it might be coming out of the same factory as mfactory or elsewhere.

Could be good or junk.

But if mfactory goes teets up or something, could maybe be a source:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I'm going to assume that's a repackaged M Factory 4.75 with a different finish. No reason to for a company to go through all the trouble to make a "me too" product in a tiny market share. If you can source a ford f.d. that works with a mtx75 not the vtx75 its slightly different, some where in the mid 4's I would probably die. Honestly though I would be shocked. We think some of the diesel transit vans had them like 4.4o or 4.25 but can't confirm.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm going to assume that's a repackaged M Factory 4.75 with a different finish. No reason to for a company to go through all the trouble to make a "me too" product in a tiny market share. If you can source a ford f.d. that works with a mtx75 not the vtx75 its slightly different, some where in the mid 4's I would probably die. Honestly though I would be shocked. We think some of the diesel transit vans had them like 4.4o or 4.25 but can't confirm.
That's kind of what I thought.

I might just shoot them out an email to ask where it's made.

And if I find any of the mid 4 ratios anywhere on the planet I'll let you know.

·
Registered
203 Posts
They emailed me back. Yes it's repackaged mfactory.

Could you run a slightly taller tire size and go with the 4.75's? Or slightly shorter with 4.06's? What size tire do you run and what's it's diameter?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Also Karl at Massive sells the MTX-75 parts made by Aangepastbak from the Netherlands. This manufacturer has posted about his MTX75 close ratio sets and final drives on the Focus forums and also rallyanarchy. Says he will make any final drive ratio you want. Only problem is I don't know anyone actually running his stuff so hard to recommend.

Maybe talk to Karl at Massive and see if he has sold any and has any feedback.

Below is the Massive link to the final drive-note that there is no ratios listed-only a note to select a ratio. Don't see a place to type in your ratio,so I guess you would just shoot Karl an email with your choice of ratio referencing your order.

But I would call first just to verify that the ratio you request is available.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Here's a link to the manufacturer in Holland.

If your Dutch is rusty(mine is) you can use google translate.. He shows his close ratio sets on there too:

81 - 88 of 88 Posts