Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
You must be Chris.

Just finishing in stage rally is an achievement.

Hope you have better luck with the Mfactory gearset than the 4.75 FD.

Glad to see you like the 4.06 with the 2.5.

If I ever get around to my 2.5 swap-I have the 4.06 NIB already.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I "should" have been volunteering at our local Socal rally today:

http://highdeserttrails.com/

...but promised to work for someone this am so....

I'll see if I can make Gorman I guess.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I am Chris, thats right HDT was this weekend, we are already reprepping for OTR

·
Registered
1 Posts
Trying to start rally with my 2001 ford focus zx3. Need info.

Hey, so I'm 20 about to get a new car and i currently have a 2001 ford focus zx3 and I wanna start rally racing in it. The thing is I know decent amount about cars but i don't know the first thing about rally or rally mods, like is their a certain size of things or am I gonna have to forge things to fit? Any help at all would be great just thought this form might be a good start.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hey, so I'm 20 about to get a new car and i currently have a 2001 ford focus zx3 and I wanna start rally racing in it. The thing is I know decent amount about cars but i don't know the first thing about rally or rally mods, like is their a certain size of things or am I gonna have to forge things to fit? Any help at all would be great just thought this form might be a good start.
Welcome. Read through this whole thread if you haven't already.

Also, read through The Norm's thread. Lots of good info on how to get it going for cheap.
https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/road-racing-rally/667378-thenorms-rally-x-build.html

·
Registered
152 Posts
crocman-hopefully you didn’t do a post and run, but you are talking about building an actual gravel stage rally car- right?

Not rallyx or rally look-right?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Here we go again, leaving this morning for Idaho Rally. We are competing in National 2wd open, a few upgrades to the car since we last raced. Brake ducting and a v band exhaust clamp on the flex to mid pipe joint. I also pulled the FS werks header and wrapped it with DEI titanium wrap. I dropped the fuel tank skid plate and welded in some more 1x1 steel tubing with a few kickers back up to the frame rails. I did an oil change with redline racing 5w 20 and clean the K&N which was surprisingly dirty, we bought a second new K&N to swap over on day two.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
So we WON! National open 2WD, 6th overall. The car ran great, and we put together a fantastic race of 105 stage miles. Zero mechanical issues and zero offs, I did debead two Hoosiers on the right side, came into the spectator corner too hot and hit a berm, we finished that stage and they held air all the way to service.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Congrats, sounds like all the prep and effort and a bunch of talent really paid off. With all u have done it’s was well deserved.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Another 1st place in open 2wd at Rally Colorado

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
what did you use for undercar protection. i made a 1/8 7075 aluminium skid plate but not sure what material and where to buy the underbody protection.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
We used 6000 series 1/4 inch aluminum for the engine skid plate and 1/8 inch aluminum for the fuel tank. The car under body is 1/8 inch white hpde sheets, a 4x8 is about 60 dollars at the local plastic store. Hope that helps

61 - 76 of 76 Posts