Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2000 stock ZX3 manual trans and am looking to do a little modding just to give my care a little more pep. Nothing too extreme. I don't want to make any driveability compromises and I would like to maintain/improve current fuel economy.

I have been thinking about a volant or some other CAI and a focussport exhaust (don't want it to be loud, just a little better tone)

A few questions:

1- What (if any) difference will I be able to notice in acceleration?
2- What is the installation of these parts like? (I have little experience, but I am good at following directions)
3- Would this setup seem considerably louder than the stock one?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
A cold air intake, exhaust, ECU reflash, short shifter and 65mm throttle body.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
An intake will definitely get you a bit of performance for the mod, it's an easy installation. Anyone can do it, really simple. Just make sure you get a good intake, not some ebay cheap crap as there's more harm then good in those. The VOLANT is the best for the Zetec IMO, I've had 6 intakes on my car in the past, that one was the best for sure. You'll notice an increase in acceleration with an intake. Aftermarket intakes are much louder then the stock one for example but nothing bad, the VOLANT is actually quite quiet compared to a typical short ram intake.

FocusSport exhausts are very nice. Honestly for the price though, I'd go with an MBRP www.ford-focus.mbrp.com as they are about a 1/3 the price, little more then the others, same T-304 stainless construction, great exhaust. It's slightly louder then a typical catback but if you are just planning a catback and nothing else (as far as the exhaust, headers, etc) then it's perfect. It's the system I run myself...... you won't notice much acceleration gains (if any) from a catback and the installation sucks if you are doing it at home. You can do it but you need to be safe, jackstands a good jack, sawzall (to cut the stock system off), etc. I installed mine and it was a PITA to get under the car.....

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
try to avoid cheap ebay imitations...
on the long run you are better off with brand names...
even if they are used parts...

try to market section here on the forum....

and +1 to what S2 said about mbrp and volant...
check the exhaust sound post...i post the sound of my first get mbrp + fs header and volant intake...

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
^^ yeah I always forget about the Buy/Sell area of the forum here, good point. A used intake is just as good as a new intake aside from the filter. If you clean the filter, you'll get basically the same intake as a fraction of the price as new.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yup, definitely start with a catback exhaust and a CAI. If you like it and you're still craving for more, then get an UDP, a 65mm TB, OR you can just port your stock TB. That should wake your ride up.

A slight increase in HP (and throttle response) will be noticable. BUT BEWARE... If you're after fuel economy, you will have to try your best to NOT FLOOR IT! hahaha!

On my set up, I've noticed "some" increase in fuel economy. But I need to keep checking it to get a solid proof that there is an increase. But for having a lead foot, holy cow, granny driving sucks! hahaha!

So yeah, good luck on modding your ride, and have fun!

marc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts