Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When it comes to modifying your focus, I always recommend replacing your stock dampers when going with an aftermarket lowering or sport spring set.

The kits I am about to show you have many uses, some are good for mild increased handling and some are for all out racing. I did not include coil over setups since those aren’t really basic bolt ons.

Here is a list of the better suspension kits available for the focus.

Front Rear
*Eibach pro kit 1.4 1.5
*Spax sport kit 35mm 35mm
*Spax sport kit 50mm 50mm
Apex sport suspension kit 1.5 1.5
Apex sport suspension kit 2.0 2.0
Hitec FK sport kit 35mm 40mm
Hitec FK sport kit 60mm 40mm
H&R cup kit 2.5-2.75 2.5-2.75
Sachs sporting kit 35mm 35mm
*Ford Racing damper kit
*Koni shocks and struts

* denotes a kit you can buy separately from the spring package or are only sold individually.

I won’t try to compare one kit from another, only someone who has experienced all of them can do that. But from reading posts on forums by different drivers over the last 3 years I have learned a few things and I will give some of my impressions here.

Eibach Pro kit
This is what I have on my car. Overall the handling is good, much improved over stock. To me, this setup is fairly mild which can be good for someone with a daily driver who seeks improved handling. If you autocross for example this isn’t really the kit for you.

Apex sport kit
The apex kit is a newcomer to the focus scene. Many people hold it in high regard. Some I have spoken too whose cars previously had the eibach pro kit say the apex kit provides improved handling without any decrease in ride quality.

Sachs sporting kit
This kit was put together by sachs after their involvement in developing the focus RS suspension setup. Sachs is well known through out europe for equipping such manufacturers as audi, bmw, Mercedes and Porsche cars with their suspension packages.

H&R cup kit
The H&R cup kit is not a setup for the average daily driver. It has been put together to provide the best handling for the money. While more expensive than some of the other spring/damper packages, the cost is justifiable when considering the kits superior handling. The kit lowers the car beyond the stock suspensions ability to be adjusted, so caster/camber devices should be installed to properly adjust the cars setup.

Koni shocks and struts
You cannot buy the koni dampers with any coil springs, there is a reason for this. The koni pieces are designed more for a serious handling vehicle than a mild or moderate handling one. These parts are not for the faint of heart and are geared more for a track fan than the average commuting joe. If you spend a lot of time auto crossing and road racing, these are the parts for you.

If you have a question about one of these parts or another related suspension part, feel free to PM me or e-mail me at [email protected]

·
Registered
103 Posts
spax or eibach

should i go spax or eibach? i dont think the eibach springs lowers the focus that much. what do you think? thanks

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The eibach setup lowers the focus about 1.5"

Since I already have it, I would probably try the Spax setup.

·
Registered
135 Posts
check out FKautomotive.com there is like a 60/40mm kit and a 35/40???mm kit. i have the 60/40 and it works nicely. no nasty ride on the freeway and handles like a go-cart when you need to.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Quick question, why would the H&R cup kit be bad for a daily driver?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
rockthezx3 said:
Quick question, why would the H&R cup kit be bad for a daily driver?

probaly because the ride quality is stiffer than others so it will be rough but kickass on the track.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I was thinking of upgrading to the H&R cup kit, but it's little pricey for my needs, I was wondering how does the Tokico kit fair on these cars? I have Eibach Sportlines with Tokico Illuminas on my Tsi and swear by them, my main question is should I replace my entire suspension or should I just do sway bars first? I love the ride of my car, I do not want to "slam" it due to the nature of the roads I drive, but I hate the swaying in the car on corners and such. Who makes the best sway bars? I want to take modding this car kinda slow, I bought it for my mom and if I change it too much, well, she'll hate it.[rolleyes]

WOW! never mind the "pricey" part of that post, I just found the cup kit for like $550!!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
well what about the SVT kit from what i read it's a good performeer as far as autox goes.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Does anybody make high performance struts that don't lower the car?

After ~5000 miles I already am getting tired of the stock suspension wallow but, because of steep driveways that I drive everyday, I really can't lower the car without grinding.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Sachs Sporting Kit

Does anyone have real world experience with the Sachs Sporting Kit?

Batinc. has the kit for $475. Apparently, according to Batinc, Sachs uses Eibachs pro-kit springs with this kit. (And apparently Eibach uses dampers made by Koni, or so I've been told)

At any rate, I know it lowers appros. 35mm. but do you find the ride supple enough for daily driveing? I know, everyones "butt meter" is different but give me your impression.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Do you recommend changing shocks and struts when you change your springs to something like Eibach? Also do you recommend staying with the same manufacturing with springs and shocks, ie. Eibach springs, shocks and struts?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey i noticed that KYB started selling their ajx shocks for the focus, i had never been able to find them before so im guessing that they recently started selling them... does anyone know how good those are?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Eibach and Sachs both make suspension parts for the wagon.

Now that I'm thinking about it, there is at least one more company that makes springs for the wagon, but I can't remember their name.

Both Eibach and Sachs are highly reputable companies and my guess is you wouldn't go wrong with either one. I have a wagon and will be going with either Sachs or Eibach.
Of course some people will tell you that they are exactly the same system. Sachs, a German strut and shock manufacturer uses Eibach springs with its Sporting Kit, while Eibach, a German spring manufacturer, uses Sachs struts and shocks ( an Eibach rep. told me they actually make there own shocks and struts for the pro-kit plus, but I don't think he really knew) with its Pro-Kit Plus product.

They both lower the car approx. 35mm or 1.5 inches.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts