Focus Fanatics Forum banner

121 - 140 of 288 Posts

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
cais are fantastic. more power. i live in New England, with snow, salt, and rain year round. not an issue. hydrolock is an issue only if you submerge the thing. the FS one bends back up, so it is actually higher than the stock 'cai' location anyways.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
CAI: More performance, hydro-lock worries.
Short RAM: Less performance, no hydro-lock worries.

If you live in a wet climate, go with the short-ram. Although rain won't get water in your engine, if you accidentally go through a big puddle you could be in real trouble with a CAI.
With the FSWerks CAI, you don't have to worry about hydro-lock unless you plan on using your Focus as a submarine - you really should not be driving on flooded roads anyway. I have the FSWerks Cool-flo on my 08 and splash through water puddles that send water over the hood and onto the windshield of my car, no problems yet. The only time you need to worry about hydro-lock is if you submerge the filter, then you would be stupid for driving down that road anyway.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Bambooburnr exactly I just drove throe storms in GA and by driving I mean floating more that driving and my car is fine ;)

·
Registered
502 Posts
The K&N claims up to 11hp. Never seen a dyno chart for one. FSWerks posts their dyno charts for theirs.

The K&N can cause CEL codes. It is fairly common for CEL from such a reputable manufacturer. At least on the FoFo.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Everytime I read CAI threads I want to bang my head on a wall.

With a CAI that was designed for the Focus you run near 0 Risk of hydro-lock unless your driving thru a foot and a half of water. Ive driven thru a hurricane with mine and it never even hiccuped. The filter for most CAI's will sit behind the drivers side FogLight. the bottom is protected by the front fender it covers the filter from road Spray.

So again unless your driving thru 1.5 feet of water don't worry. mines been on for 50k now and its never been a problem
That's exactly what CAI companies want you to think. But actually, water hides in tall grass on the side of the road and actually tries to hydro-lock your engine when you drive by. True story.

[;)]

·
Registered
5 Posts
09 stuttering

I have the K & N tornado sri on mine, recently has been stuttering,especially with the air on. did not do this with the stock air filter ?!?!? I am thinking about buying the fswerks cai. i did put auto lites 103 copper on mine and that did smooth out the idle, cheap too.... it has been really hot here in michigan, upper 90's. hate to really drop another 200 for a cai...

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
^^ Nice little story. I just wish people would not worry about it. If it scares you that much just get a SRI and be done with it. Or just be smart and dont drive in a creek or a pond. Hell just put a snorkel on that beast lol

·
Registered
58 Posts
gotta bee carful

ok so i just got my 2009 focus back last september and im wanting to put an intake on it. My biggest issue is living in indiana it rains A LOT and theres always standing water granted most of its on the pasenger side and my intakes on the driver side but i still feel i would be taking a huge risk putting a cold air intake on it. So please if anyone has any ideas on what would give me the best power for the money, and what i should do should i go with the cold air and risk it or should i just put a short ram on ?????????
The fswerks is better but not good if you have a lot of rain. I have the fswerks and always have to be so so careful with the rain. From what i hear the steeda is not as likely to get submerged. Hope this helps ya[cheers][cheers]

·
WRX/Focus:)
4,940 Posts
Weapon R intake conversation on lag and power.

I bought the Weapon R intake for my 03 zx3 2.3l duratec. And the only thing i notice is it seems like in first gear it has lag in low rpm's. Will my 2.5 exhaust that i have on the way fix that problem? Or will it need a tune too to eliminate this problem?

·
Registered
459 Posts
I bought the Weapon R intake for my 03 zx3 2.3l duratec. And the only thing i notice is it seems like in first gear it has lag in low rpm's. Will my 2.5 exhaust that i have on the way fix that problem? Or will it need a tune too to eliminate this problem?
Did you reset the ECU after you put it on?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
get a tune as well. It will help you get everything out of your mods, reset your ecu by taking your power cable (should be red) off the terminal post and leave it off for 15min or 20

·
Leave it stock?
2,284 Posts
i always thought it was the black cable on the battery (negative) we were supposed to take off.

·
Flipping Rockstar
16,788 Posts
Yeah, it is the Neg. side(black) that You want to remove, not the Pos(red) one. Also, You should only need to leave it disconnected for about 5 minutes or so to cause the ECU to reset.

Oh, and I'd like to see a dyno sheet showing the difference between a SRI and a CAI to corroborate the claims that a CAI is a better performer(I say this because I have run both without feeling any difference on My butt dyno).

·
King of all blacks!!
2,676 Posts
My friend Jon and I installed the Steeda SRI on my Focus. And I'm pleased to report that the performance improved immediately. In addition to more torque being found in the midrange fuel economy has improved as well-from 30.9 m.p.g. to 33.4 m.p.g. So far there have been no issues with the electronic TBW system(and yes,we disconnected the neg.battery cable before we started taking stuff apart). The car also has a more "throathier"sound on acceleration. I'll post pics up tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Well another good thing I found out is the lunchbox delete. Gives a nice burrble at low rpm and I picked up like 2 mpg's too.

121 - 140 of 288 Posts