Focus Fanatics Forum banner

81 - 100 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Just put my intake up for sale. Head over to the buy, sell, trade section. asking $160 shipped. thats $70 off. been on about a month of less. want a couple other items a lil more. willing to take a loss and cut a fellow fanatic a deal. An intake will not void your warranty unless they can prove it caused a problem.

also, my car is an automatic. I didnt like keeping the Overdrive off to keep the rpm's up to prevent bog at low rpm's. If you have a automatic keep this in mind.

·
Registered
351 Posts
My '08 did the same thing with the Steeda SRI. It did it stock and with an 87 octane performance tune. Ford flew a Field Engineer in from Dearborn, he hooked his laptop up to the car, and we drove it for about 45 minutes. I always thought it had something to do with the OD being set so low, but his laptop showed that the throttle body butterfly was "fluttering" when the car started surging. He then measured the ID of the Steeda MAF tube and compared it to the stock tube. The Steeda ID was a little bigger. He felt that the extra air the Steeda MAF tube let through may be the reason as the MAF is calibrated for the stock ID and the air flow it allows. I switched to an Airaid SRI and the surging is gone.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My '08 did the same thing with the Steeda SRI. It did it stock and with an 87 octane performance tune. Ford flew a Field Engineer in from Dearborn, he hooked his laptop up to the car, and we drove it for about 45 minutes. I always thought it had something to do with the OD being set so low, but his laptop showed that the throttle body butterfly was "fluttering" when the car started surging. He then measured the ID of the Steeda MAF tube and compared it to the stock tube. The Steeda ID was a little bigger. He felt that the extra air the Steeda MAF tube let through may be the reason as the MAF is calibrated for the stock ID and the air flow it allows. I switched to an Airaid SRI and the surging is gone.
thanks man! very helpful!!!!! just wonder if the fserks cai would be ok?

·
I Nom Cones
2,599 Posts
^^ is that with the incert in place? because there should be a metal sleeve that slides inside the tube that makes it smaller...

also, as far as the spark plug things... you may just have to search... i heard about it in a spark plug thread a while ago... i will try to find it, but it might be quicker if you searched...

·
I Nom Cones
2,599 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
ok so i just got my 2009 focus back last september and im wanting to put an intake on it. My biggest issue is living in indiana it rains A LOT and theres always standing water granted most of its on the pasenger side and my intakes on the driver side but i still feel i would be taking a huge risk putting a cold air intake on it. So please if anyone has any ideas on what would give me the best power for the money, and what i should do should i go with the cold air and risk it or should i just put a short ram on ?????????

·
Registered
98 Posts
AS a person fairly new to all this it may interest you guys to know it is not always easy searching what you want when well you don't really even know what key word to use. anyway I think this is a good write up thanks!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Ive noticed with my mtx that on a hot day it seems to stutter when i hit the gas like it cant get enough air then it pulls outta now where a little odd

·
Registered
668 Posts
FS works CAI or Steeda short ram

Hey guys got a quick question I got the ok to purchase an intake for my wifes 2008 focus and i found a guy selling a FS works CAI and a steeda short ram which do you guys think is the best. I haven't really done much with here car usually do stuff to my 01 zetec so any input would be great.

·
Registered
79 Posts
cold air is cold air but ram won't suck up water like a cai. what do you want out of it? cold air performs better but i think for more practicality the ram would be better. gonna be better than stock but with less risk to the car, since i'm assuming this is a dd.

·
Registered
542 Posts
CAI: More performance, hydro-lock worries.
Short RAM: Less performance, no hydro-lock worries.

If you live in a wet climate, go with the short-ram. Although rain won't get water in your engine, if you accidentally go through a big puddle you could be in real trouble with a CAI.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Steeda! or you could buy the cosworth cai that a guy is selling on the thread. we can make it fit. a lot of the 08 09 people seem to really like the steeda,I think that the short ram and cai for a d-tec is no difference really.

81 - 100 of 288 Posts