Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 80 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
so let me get this straight...either you risk potentially hydrolocking your engine, after doing a great deal of work, or you can suffer from heat soak?

If you lived in an area with bad drainage, and stop/go traffic, what would you do...

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
is the fswerks cai smogable in cali? i heard no. then i heard yes. then someone told me you have to do a tune. which ones true?
Although it uses all the plumbing of the stock intake, the FSW intake does NOT have an 'EO' number from CARB therefore it will not pass the smog check visual here in CA. BUT it is a GREAT intake. I've loved every minute that I've had mine on my '09.

·
Flipping Rockstar
16,788 Posts
so let me get this straight...either you risk potentially hydrolocking your engine, after doing a great deal of work, or you can suffer from heat soak?

If you lived in an area with bad drainage, and stop/go traffic, what would you do...
Heat soak is a myth in my experience...
^^This. I have been breathing through a custom SRI since last Summer, in TX, with ZERO heat soak issues. Besides, short of mechanically or chemically cooling the air, the term "cold air" intake is something of a misnomer, especially when the ambient outside air is over 100*F.

·
Registered
529 Posts
When it comes to this Steeda air intake, when you say tight, are you talking within 1 inch away, or touching the headlight housing very tight? I've got a 2004 Duratec 2.3 ....

Also, does anybody have or like the AEM Duratec cold air intake? Do you get good HP with it? And how is the fitment within the engine bay?
I have the AEM and I love it. When I step on the throttle it sounds like a baby turbo I shit you not. This thing whistles and hisses when hitting the gas hard or when you are letting off. Clearance is great, but to change the filter you have to go under the car to access it properly.

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,624 Posts
I use to have a AEM CIA up in Washington state where it rain half the year. I have never had a hydolock issue. My turbo setup has a CAI and its been raining a ton where I live now and still no hydolock issue and the turbo pulls in alot more air.

·
Registered
234 Posts
08-10 steeda intake question????

i recently put a steeda sri on my 09 focus. it is a automatic and when in overdrive, say going about 40-50, at low rpm's i get a lil engine stutter. I've also noticed at idle there is a small fluctuation up and down on the tach. at times. Kinda worried this intake is gonna hurt my car.... any idea whats up? also my right turn signal has been speeding up and changing speed since the install, could this be related?

·
FOCUS REVOLUTION
2,872 Posts
i would go thru that whole install and check all the vac lines make sure there all hooked up right.

I really don't see anyway the turn signal could be related unless the plug it loose on the front drivers bulb which would be right there by the intake

·
Registered
234 Posts
i would go thru that whole install and check all the vac lines make sure there all hooked up right.

I really don't see anyway the turn signal could be related unless the plug it loose on the front drivers bulb which would be right there by the intake
bet that's why the blinker is on the fritz. i'll check the lines next. here is a pic if it helps.

maybe rotate the maf tube towards me, so the maf sensor is flat.... does the orientation matter? dark out now so i'll have to do this in the morning... hope my halos aren't crapping out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I noticed a slight stutter on my '09 atx after I installed the Steeda SRI only mine was around 35-40 mph and climbing a hill. Since then I've had the computer tuned and it runs great.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
FOCUS REVOLUTION
2,872 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile looking at that pic I can't beleave how much people pay and how much they reuse

I paid like 200 shipped to my house on a cai and it looks alot better

Sorry to say

·
I Nom Cones
2,599 Posts
your experiencing the heat soak these intakes get... if you had a mtx, you could get past it by holding the revs a little longer...

im not sure if the fswerks cai does this or not, but it is going to be its worst when it is hot outside...

as far as the needle fluxuation, that was prob there stock...

some '08+ guys have grounded their throttle body... and have gotten mixed reactions on the mod... some say its worthless, others say it helps...

it is said to smooth idle and also help throttle lag a bit... or something... i have done it, and i like it just fine, even if its plecebo...

you could try to get new spark plugs and gap them to .060 (i think) and if you get autolite copper core plugs you'll get 3-5 whp... been dyno proven... but i think someone said it also smooths idle...

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have just a freer flowing exhaust on my car, (2.25" to a flowmaster super 44) and it fluctuates too, almost turns it into a loping idle at stop. I've heard that because of the fly by wire thing, if you only install one of the two (intake OR exhaust) because one end flows way more freely now, the computer gets a little confused. I've heard once you free up both ends of the equation, it's supposed to smooth it out. Or a tune lol. And mine didn't have the stutter stock either.

·
King of all blacks!!
2,676 Posts
I'm glad somebody brought this up because I'm about to install mine on my car in a few days.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I can usually get past the bog if I turn the overdrive off, which I usually do. almost to hilly here in knoxville for od around town anyway. Just sucks on the interstate when your looking for mpg's!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Plus don't forget to diconnect your battery for a few mins to reset the ECU. Always a good idea after installing any performance parts.

61 - 80 of 288 Posts