Focus Fanatics Forum banner

281 - 288 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Really interested in getting a CAI for my 08', but what are the risks involved with hydrolock?
You would have to drive through water that was over 18" deep and if you are going through water that deep in your focus, you have bigger issues to worry about. I have had my FSwerks CAI on my 2010 for over 5 years now. No issues even being lowered. I was worried early on until I went through many puddles or water holding areas and realized its not an issue. You would have to fully submerge the cai and be pulling enough force for water to be pulled up the tube. Don't worry about it lol

·
Registered
145 Posts
You would have to drive through water that was over 18" deep and if you are going through water that deep in your focus, you have bigger issues to worry about. I have had my FSwerks CAI on my 2010 for over 5 years now. No issues even being lowered. I was worried early on until I went through many puddles or water holding areas and realized its not an issue. You would have to fully submerge the cai and be pulling enough force for water to be pulled up the tube. Don't worry about it lol
Good to know. Also will I have to worry about engine tuning/ running lean or anything?

·
Lurking...
2,180 Posts
With just an intake, as long as its one from a well known brand and not EBAY mod, you should be just fine without a tune. Of course the tune will make more power with it.

·
Registered
657 Posts
i may have browsed passed it, but with a MK2, and the protective front under thing (the cage as i was calling it), how is it beneficial to have a CAI? It is drawing still the same hot air from inside the engine bay. Do you remove that bottom protective section (the cage?) to run a CAI? Do you open up more vents in the front grill to let it breath?

Also, because of all that, does it really get hydrolocked? IDK.. maybe i am just crazy thinking about stupid.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
MkI has an undertray right back to the radiator support area, MkIII has a 'full' undertray below the engine, as far as I know the MkII was set up similar to the MkI from what I'd seen.

I've seen filters (CAI) tucked in over the front tray for protection, those still plan on a burble of cooler air from mostly underneath to feed them.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Easiest mod ever. I was worried about hydro lock also..... been driving it through crazy rain storms for 5 years and never missed a beat. The water would have to be up to mid tire depth to get into the intake.... you would probably have water coming in through your door first.... but nose diving into a pond is never a good option.

We have emission testing in Atlanta and this does not effect the check engine light.

Everyone should have one installed.

281 - 288 of 288 Posts