Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this section I will go into detail describing the kinds and brands of exhaust headers.

When it comes time to choose an aftermarket header for your car you have a few things to consider. Mainly you want to decide if you are going to stay emissions legal. If you are going to stay emissions legal then a shorty style header is for you. If meeting emissions requirements isn’t necessary then a race header will give better gains.

Shorty headers

Here are some of the shorty style headers out on the market for the zetec engine.

Ford racing shorty
MAC shorty
JBA shorty
Pacesetter shorty
Focussport shorty
Edelbrock shorty
Focus central shorty

PROS
Shorty headers when used in conjunction with a stock catalytic converters don’t produce very large gains. Though a shorty header used in conjunction with a hi flow cat can make very good gains. A shorty header and hi flow cat combo also allow the engine to produce usable low rpm torque, this is good for daily drivers.

CONS
Shorty headers do have one con and that is price, a quality shorty will cost close to as much as a race header. Dollar for dollar vs. a race header they aren’t as worth it. But if staying emissions legal they are as good as it gets. I have also found that over long term use, an aftermarket shorty can prematurely wear a stock catalytic converter.

Race headers

Here are some of the race headers your likely to see on the market.

Focus central race header
Focussport race header
Kamikaze race header

PROS
For the money, if you plan to make serious power in any form a race header is necessary. Also they cannot be beaten when it comes to price. Average race headers go for between $ 325 - 375

CONS
Race headers require removal of the catalytic converter. Many folks cannot remove their cat for emissions reasons. This makes a race header impossible to use.

These are not all of the exhaust headers and race headers available, but simply a selection of the more common ones.

If you have a question about one of these parts or another related exhaust part, feel free to PM me or e-mail me at [email protected]

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Again, most helpful, any question I would have had has been answered. Great job Jeff.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
Yel900rr said:
Forgot the SVT race header.
when i see it actually released as a full hassle free kit, then i'd consider it a bolt on.

you guys ever release that?

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was considering adding the SVT header, thing is, I know it isn't out yet as a complete kit. So if I was to say it was a great part alot of people would start asking where they can get them. Then there would be alot of BS flying around because there isn't a complete kit.

When one becomes available for purchase I will definately amend my comments.

These topics are aimed more at people who come onto the board and ask the same questions week after week.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
i'm looking for a large tube race header like the one on the bigboy na fc car. I now have the fc 4-2-1 but i will soon outrun the flow. I believe the kamikaze is bigger primaries than the current fc? plus it's 2.5 collector. Any ideas? Dennis and the boys at fc are workin me one of the big ones up but they say it's gonna be a few months yet. i need something in time for the ffw season. any ideas?

thanks in advance

g

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mr. squatch what all do you have done to your car. Your times are looking good.

As far as the kamikaze goes, if you are making serious NA hp and you think that the FC piece won't be big enough. Then I would say definately try the kamikaze.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
my car basically had all the boltons and the old crower II's and a 75shot nx nitrous too at the time those were run. I've since raised the comp and a few other goodies, should be almost that fast now without the spray. The header is for the new engine, it's got monster cams and 11.5:1 comp. Gonna need to exhale more than the little fc headers I have now can probably handle. 8500rpm has to go somewhere :D

g

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yeah Focal, do you think the Kamikaze would be the best bet if you were setting up for an aftercooled Vortech down the road? It would flow better than the FS and FC right? This would be in conjunction with all 2.5'' piping and all the bolt-ons and cam gears.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The kamikaze is a bit larger than the other rae headers, if you are using it for FI it should be a good choice. Thing is, I know of few who have used them.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That is an SVT focus long tube header, its the stock one off of the SVT focus.

Mcnews is working on a bolt on kit for that header.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts