Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While back had some issues with lower control arm pinch style bolt for ball joint broke. Bought a new bolt/nut and lock washer from auto zone. Held it for a while.. Till today... Is there a part # for the bolt?

Best Picture I could find of bolt. Bolt directly above ball joint heat shield.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,210 Posts
You're really lucky that it happened in the driveway!

You have to use a Ford pinch bolt, the gray one is OEM and the black is what's usually found in some aftermarket ball joint kits. See how the OEM is fatter on the non threaded part, it's critical for keeping things together.

I had the part number for the bolt, but I can't find it right now.

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
Damn there was another pinch bolt thread on here just two days ago. Glad your ok, and luckily it happened in your driveway.

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
I ordered mine from Steve at tousley ford. No local dealers in Chicago carried that part at all. I was surprised. The one that could order it said I had to order a set because he couldn't just order just one. Cheaper to get shipped on mn.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I snapped two OEM bolts and an aftermarket one.. went grade 8 and have had 0 problems.

such a PITA. always the passenger side.
Only had one snap. This one just came loose. Bought OEM this time. Got 2 just in case happens again :/

Bolt p# w710904*s439 $3.30 at dealer.
Nut p# w520203*s $3.59

At least those are part numbers I have from Ford dealer on invoice.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cleaned it up repacked with grease and popped back in, seems fine. Will replace if gives me any trouble though.

Same thing happened when motor mount broke. Cv popped out and just did same thing had no issues.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,456 Posts
Is this just a weird happening or what? oem bolts breaking?

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
The nut for the shoulder bolt is only torqued to 35lbs/ft. It's load bearing, so it's even more important that the width of the shoulder is oem spec. But yeah they break.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,210 Posts
The nut for the shoulder bolt is only torqued to 35lbs/ft. It's load bearing, so it's even more important that the width of the shoulder is oem spec. But yeah they break.
That's why I broke down and bought a torque wrench, and I'm glad I have one now.

Just to add on, the OEM bolt is crucial right there; I heard that Moog has an OEM spec bolt in their ball joint kit. Always match up parts before you bolt them on.

·
Mining in the cave
5,936 Posts
Is this just a weird happening or what? oem bolts breaking?
Very common.

Ford used cheap bolts on the Focus. They rust and seize then snap off when you try to loosen them. A little CPC or $.03 more per suspension bolt would have saved alot of head aches.

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
Of course it's worse for those of us who live on the rust belt like michigan and ohio.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts